log splitter engine

/ log splitter engine #21  
For me it would be counterproductive. One of my priorities for my splitter is speed. I want it as fast as possible to get to the wood, and then retract fast so I can put another piece in place. Hooking the throttle control to the lever would be ok, since I would not be doing anything with the lever in the neutral position. But when I move the lever forward or backward, I want it to get on with it.

Yes, and a pressure switch will not accomplish this as it would only rev the engine when there is resistance on the cylinder. You would want it to rev anytime the cylinder is moving.

/ log splitter engine #22  
Have you looked at the Northern tool splitters? They have/ had a cable for the throttle that went to the hydraulic ram. When it was retracted it would push the cable/ throttle to idle the engine. As soon as the ram starts to extend the cable (I'm assuming spring loaded) would then rev the motor back up. I'm not sure how much of a fuel savings or less wear and tear it would put on the engine so I've never bothered to try it.

/ log splitter engine #23  
Yes, and a pressure switch will not accomplish this as it would only rev the engine when there is resistance on the cylinder. You would want it to rev anytime the cylinder is moving.

I thought he just wanted it to rev up when he encountered a tough piece to split and run at half throttle the rest of the time. Anyways, a pressure switch would still work I think, just have to set it to where anytime there was pressure it would activate the throttle solenoid. I dont know how much pressure my splitters build on cyl retraction, but it does build some pressure, Take more fiddleing with than its worth I think, but doable.

/ log splitter engine #24  
Have you looked at the Northern tool splitters? They have/ had a cable for the throttle that went to the hydraulic ram. When it was retracted it would push the cable/ throttle to idle the engine. As soon as the ram starts to extend the cable (I'm assuming spring loaded) would then rev the motor back up. I'm not sure how much of a fuel savings or less wear and tear it would put on the engine so I've never bothered to try it.

Ah, good catch. Check out page 58 on the link below and look at the engine side of the pics on the splitter it is for. Very simple design, when the piston is all the way retracted it pushes on a lever that brings the motor to idle.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/downloads/manuals/1131.pdf
NorthStar Horizontal/Vertical Log Splitter — 37-Ton, 270cc Honda GX270 Engine | Log Splitters| Northern Tool + Equipment

A reply to muddstopper, from the original question it's hard to tell if what's listed above will suffice or if full rpm control is what is wanted. The latter is much harder to do.

/ log splitter engine #25  
Ah, good catch. Check out page 58 on the link below and look at the engine side of the pics on the splitter it is for. Very simple design, when the piston is all the way retracted it pushes on a lever that brings the motor to idle.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/downloads/manuals/1131.pdf
NorthStar Horizontal/Vertical Log Splitter — 37-Ton, 270cc Honda GX270 Engine | Log Splitters| Northern Tool + Equipment

A reply to muddstopper, from the original question it's hard to tell if what's listed above will suffice or if full rpm control is what is wanted. The latter is much harder to do.

Actually it was post #3 that just wanted it to rev up for the tuff stuff,
I'll bite too. We want one because it only needs to rev up when the log is really tough. Otherwise just above idle is plenty enough get up and go and it's not so loud and much more fuel efficient. I'll watch this thread to see how it progresses.

/ log splitter engine #26  
my splitter has a hydraulic lift table & it does take a while to load wood onto to the table & all the while the engine is running

at w o t auto throttle would come in handy, just go over & push down the throttle.. & turn it up again .no need to

/ log splitter engine
DSCN3108.JPG

the table will hold several pieces.

/ log splitter engine #28  
Actually it was post #3 that just wanted it to rev up for the tuff stuff,
The original poster is baddnee not jlgurr. What exactly is wanted helps decide which way to go. Just want it to idle down while you stack some wood and prep for the next log would be pretty simple to do mechanically. Have a motor rev per the system PSI is tougher seeing the motor side would need to be variable. I don't think that is worth the hassle, maybe just add a remote throttle near the valve.

/ log splitter engine #29  
The real question is just how much gas this would save. Small engines have governors that limit just how much gas is going to the engine based on load. I'm not sure that there's much load when the spool valve is in the middle position and the pump is just pushing oil right back into the reservoir. A hand throttle next to the spool valve would make the most sense to me. It would allow you to not have to return the ram to the fully retracted position (AKA the Northern tool design) to slow the engine down. It would also allow you to rev the motor up to a speed between idle and WOT.

/ log splitter engine #30  
The real question is just how much gas this would save. Small engines have governors that limit just how much gas is going to the engine based on load.

Yep, a small engine at WOT really isnt WOT.

Think about your cars, not governed. Sitting at idle, it dont take much pushing of the gas pedal to get 3000-4000 RPM does it? And certainly not burning enough gas to worry about IMO