Log Splitter Pauses Before Split - Bad Pump or Normal for Cheap Unit? Video

/ Log Splitter Pauses Before Split - Bad Pump or Normal for Cheap Unit? Video #1  

Rford

Gold Member
Tractor
1966 Ford 2000 Diesel 8sp
http://youtu.be/O4O8f_MwfB0

Here's a You Tube video, or link to it, showing what my recently acquired, used, MTD 25 ton unit is doing. I can split but having never owned a splitter, and realizing these are low-end units, I'm confused whether this is normal or whether there is something I can do. I've changed the filter, the engine runs fine, full of hydro fluid, etc. From what I've read, if this is a two stage pump, it is possible the second stage is faulty on the pump. But then again, maybe this is normal. It splits small pieces without the delay, or at least not as much of one. My understanding of hydraulics is 0 even after trying to understand it. The ram works fine under no-load and I've always been able to get the round to split, it just takes time for the pressure to build up enough to do so. Like on the video, sometimes a bit longer.

If I need to test this with a gauge, as suggested by other posts where splitters are acting up, what's the proper method to do so?

Thanks in advance and I hope the link works.

/ Log Splitter Pauses Before Split - Bad Pump or Normal for Cheap Unit? Video #2  
Looks like a single stage pump, I have seen others do this. It takes the low pressure a while to bust through.

/ Log Splitter Pauses Before Split - Bad Pump or Normal for Cheap Unit? Video
I posted this over on the "hydraulics" section and JJ gave me some good advice. This has a two stage pump. It might be working just fine. The "second" stage takes a moment to kick in, so mine might be a bit slow...but maybe nothing wrong. By adding an inexpensive tee with gauge I can check the second stage pressure to confirm it is building proper pressure.

/ Log Splitter Pauses Before Split - Bad Pump or Normal for Cheap Unit? Video #4  
I have a 16gpm two stage pump on mine and it doesnt stop like yours does, it will slow way down and you can tell when the two stage kicks in as it creeps along. The only time it ever completely stops is when the log is too much for the splitter, like a real knotty piece or a forked piece. You may have air in the system or the pump switch over pressure needs adjusted.

/ Log Splitter Pauses Before Split - Bad Pump or Normal for Cheap Unit? Video #5  
I think your pressure relief valve is set too low. It is in the control valve. It may be a cartridge visible from the outside or there may be a cap you take off to get to it and adjust it.-- Need make/model of control valve or pics to help.
larry

/ Log Splitter Pauses Before Split - Bad Pump or Normal for Cheap Unit? Video
Maybe this will help someone with a similar problem. I made a trip to the farm to split a little wood and figure out what I needed to hook up a gauge. With a little more knowledge, I noticed some things:

1. The valve stops when the valve lever is fully extended. In my first post, I noted that if you moved the lever sometimes it would help. Actually, the ram only moves forward if you have it backed off about about an inch otherwise it stops. So that was causing about 95% of the issues. If I pull the lever almost all the way it seems to work just fine. The lever itself actually has a bit more bend in it than I think is normal and I'm guessing someone thought putting more pressure on it was a possible solution and bent it a bit out of frustration. Just a guess.

2. The rear of the valve has a cover with two hex screws. It leaks fluid--not much, just a little seepage but I've read that leaks or oil or sucking air causes problems. I've read how to fix that, but probably won't.

3. There is teflon tape on the valve fittings.The MTD shop manual I downloaded repeatedly states do not use teflon tape so I'm guessing they don't from the factory and the tape is evidence that someone has had this apart trying to fix this issue.

4. The valve is marked on the end as follows: "Energy 19693C 3804V".

I may still put together a tee with a gauge but will probably do the testing in conjunction with replacing that valve which I'm pretty sure is causing all my issues. But since its working, I'm going to hold off until I'm done with my chores. With my luck I'll replace the valve and it will never run again.

I'll post a follow-up if I replace the valve.

PS - I would like to know if there is a bolt on direct replacement that works with the MTD unit. I see Prince 3000 mentioned but I think its plumbed "backwards" from the Energy unit.

/ Log Splitter Pauses Before Split - Bad Pump or Normal for Cheap Unit? Video #7  
Surplus center has a log splitter valve that should fit.

A Speeco log splitter valve item #9-8582 $49.95