Another work/weld table

/ Another work/weld table #1  

oldtimer 66

Gold Member
Tractor
Just an FYI on the work/weld table I built a couple of years ago. It is an upgrade from a smaller one I had. This one is 2" x 4' with the same 8" casters from my old table. It is made from 2"x2" X .19 " wall tubing with a .31" top plate. The bottom shelf is .19 thick with .19 belly bands. This holds misc. pc's of left over material. The vise is mounted such that I can lower it and have a completely flat surface for larger items. The vice still needs a removable support bracket but I have not done that yet. It has a pipe for the mig gun set in. The bars on each end hold most of my clamps. It is also the same height as my existing fixed work bench. That way if I am doing say a long drive shaft I can support the other end with the work bench if needed. I use it for welding / layout/ and as a rolling working bench when I am working on cars/trucks on my car lift. If I do brakes and or wheel bearing etc on one side of the vehicle I roll it and all of the tools to the other side to finish the job. Occasionally I will need to work on a long beam and or piece of pipe, then I use the work table along with the arms of the car lift to support it. I also use the car lift as a quasi weld table positioner. I just thought I would throw this out for info. Later 20150124_163731.jpg20150124_163756.jpg20150124_164308.jpg20150125_113805.jpg

/ Another work/weld table #2  
Nice job :thumbsup:

/ Another work/weld table
Thanks rswyan

/ Another work/weld table #4  
Great job,we had the same vise set up on our welding table at work.

/ Another work/weld table #5  
Nicely done, oldtimer.
I like the way you cantilevered the vise - makes it much easier to work with frames & ells and holding stock vertical.
Also really like your odds & ends/ballast box, way down low - adds stability to the whole thing.

/ Another work/weld table #6  
Pretty nice table. I am going to steal that vise idea. I am going to try the same thing with a bench grinder on the other end. Might be to shaky but I'll find out. Thank you very much.

Thanks for the complement. I had my grinder on the old weld cart along with vise and it was just to crowded. So I mounted the vise as shown but the grinder I mounted to a building column. Not to say that it cannot be mounted to the weld cart. The grinder mounting was a weld project for my granddaughter. Later.

One other thing to mention, notice how the vise is offset to one side of the mounting plate. That was so, if the vise as shown is closed all the way it will still be below the table surface. Later

/ Another work/weld table #9  
Very nice job. And well thought out!!

Terry

/ Another work/weld table #10  
One other thing to mention, notice how the vise is offset to one side of the mounting plate. That was so, if the vise as shown is closed all the way it will still be below the table surface. Later

When the vice is up in the working position, how is it held up?