3 Point Spray Rig

/ 3 Point Spray Rig #1  

Jd5203

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 5203, John Deere 5083e
Has anybody made a homemade 3 point sprayer with a 200 gallon tank? I'd like to make it to where I can either have it on a boom, a boomless sprayer, and a hose gun. I don't think it would be that hard to make. Any help is greatly appreciated.

/ 3 Point Spray Rig #2  
Your tractor(s) can definitely handle that much - my only cautions would be to build it strong and make sure your front weights are in place. 200 gallons of any liquid is gonna run around 1600 pounds WITHOUT the vessel, frame, etc. I'd also pay attention to ground condition, since you'd have about a ton of extra weight on the tractor.

On the other end of the scale, years ago I built a spray rig for a JD lawnmower - used a 25 gal. spot sprayer, built a pin-on "flatbed" just big enough to support the tank and boom hardware - drilled an extra hole in the top of the tank for return, added a gate valve from boom back to tank, and I adjust the return with a gate valve til it maintains 30 psi (only water in tank at this point) - then shut off the inline ball valve for tank return, add chemicals, close boom valve and open tank return ball valve - this lets chemicals mix with nothing to boom.

By the time I drive over somewhat bumpy ground to the "scene of the crime" the chemicals are mixed. I leave the tank return open thru the (adjuster) gate valve, open the boom valve, and drive.

Most of the above is probably redundant, if you ask specific questions we can probably help more... Steve

/ 3 Point Spray Rig
If I do it, I'm now thinking about putting swivel wheels on it so that the weight can be resting on them, because I want the versatility of spraying multiflore rose in the woods but I also want to spray my fields with it, I may just leave it without a boom and just do a spray nozzle. I wonder if a nozzle of a liquid manure spreader would work ok for that. We don't have any weights for the tractors because we have loaders and whenever I need extra weight I just go get a bucket of rocks out of the rock pile and thats my weight. Also with a three point sprayer theres not much room for a boom so that kind of gets rid of that idea. I think the main frame I would bolt together as my welder will only do a 1/4 inch, I don't know if thats from one side, so I'll have to see. But anyway, all the big stuff I'd bolt together and the smaller stuff I'd weld probably.
I just don't know what type of pump I would need to get and what spray head to get. I'd like to be able to do at least a thirty foot spread for in the pastures.

/ 3 Point Spray Rig #4  
It's been about 55 years since I had anything to do with liquid manure (don't miss it) but I would be more than amazed if that idea would do anything but cost you a small fortune in chemicals - nozzles for spraying things like weedmaster, roundup, etc, are MUCH smaller and designed to atomize - there are several resources to figure this part out here

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=spray+nozzle+chart+roundup

I've used Teejet and another brand, don't recall which - but it's quite a science figuring out a workable combo of tractor speed, nozzle choice, gallons per acre, etc... Steve

BTW, the spray setup I started to describe has a FOLDING dry boom - even on that small mower it has about 16' swath (12 foot boom length, folded in on each side = 4 foot wide. I have simple garden hose wyes with valves so I can spot spray or boom spray with 1, 2 or all three sections of boom spraying. All it takes is a bit of "McGyvering" and some poly lawn sprinkler parts :=)