Which lathe is this?

/ Which lathe is this? #1  

pmsmechanic

Elite Member
Tractor
4410 and F-935 John Deere, MF 245
I'm interested in buying a lathe so my buddy sent me a few pictures of one for sale. I'm just wondering if someone can tell me what model this is and where I can get more info on it. I think it's a South Bend but I'm not sure.

IMG_0939.jpg

I realize this isn't a lathe forum but surely somebody can point me on the right track. If this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move it.

/ Which lathe is this? #2  
South Bend i have one similar to it it looks in nice shape

/ Which lathe is this? #3  
Looks to be missing the cover over the belt drives. Otherwise looks pretty good - a lot depends on the price.

/ Which lathe is this? #4  
Sorta like this one from South Bend's website.
sbl-factory-views-22_lrg.jpg

/ Which lathe is this?
It's also missing the cross slide screw or at least the wheel for it. Also the drive belts have been changed to a v-belt setup.

The lathe is about 370 miles from where I live so I can't just pop over and see it.

Asking price is $1200 CAD which is roughly $950 USD.

If any body can tell me how to figure out which model it is that would be great. My buddy who doesn't know whole lot about lathes figures it's about a 16" swing and about a 36" bed.

/ Which lathe is this?
A few more pics.IMG_7276.jpgIMG_8543.jpgIMG_9379.jpgIMG_7310.jpg

The last pic is missing the cross slide screw where the finger is pointing.

/ Which lathe is this? #7  
That might not be a south bend. I have a 15" screen and blew it up so that I can almost read it. If you have a large screen try that. The price seems high to me, but keep in mind I'm old and everything is way to much.I just can't adjust to how $10.00 is the same as a dollar was.

My south bend was all gear drive and they would break. also was hard to find then.

/ Which lathe is this? #8  
Just some info, it appears to have been updated with it's own spindle drive motor. I think originally the spindle was driven by an overhead belt drive arrangement. This is what is referred to as a bench lathe.There was a local machine shop that had all of their equipment converted from overhead belt drive to individual motor arrangements. Now I am talking about horz. mills vert. mills, a large jig bore, radial drill a couple of shapers and that is from my memory of almost 40 years ago. It was common practice to do this conversion when electrical power became more readily available and eliminate the large over common belt drive/ shaft drive systems. I would put the build date of that machine some where in the early 30's. But I am not an expert. There are probably members that are and they could zero in on it's age. It looks exceptionally clean for it age. There should be small oil cups for lubricating using machine oil. It appears as thought the spindle bearings are plain and not rolling element. For light work it should work good. Don't plan on doing any metric threads. LOL. Later.

/ Which lathe is this? #9  
I replied before I saw your other pictures. If it is missing the cross slider screw then that is going to be costly to buy and or more likely to get custom made. You would need the crank handle, screw, nut unless is still there, a couple of plan and or rolling element bearings. Not a cheap date. I would look for a machine that is intact. If you had your own lathe and this was to be an additional machine then it might be fun to make the new screw bearings nut etc. Get some shafting and some AMPCO and go to town. The machine is basically useless without the cross slide. Later.

/ Which lathe is this? #10  
Not bad old timer on the age of the machine. I am just patting myself on my back. Ta Da LOL Later.