concrete roller screed,

/ concrete roller screed, #1  

BHD

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4020
this is in response to the 3 point concrete placer, thread,

I am getting older and my knees are not the best any more, so I started to look for a better way,

and come across the roller screed,

some of the points of the screed,

what I welded up and put in the ends of the 4" tube,

the unit is easy to use unit, (hint rub grease or duct tape on the chuck), one can stand up save the knees, and if it does not pull the mud down the first time let it roll back up over the slab and let do it again,

the company I copied uses a modified drain plug so the ends can be removed and transferred to different tube,
http://www.spinscreed.com/ videos and other at the site,
they used an aluminum tube and I used a steel tube, lower cost for me,

/ concrete roller screed, #2  
Really like it. Never thought of roller screed. Looked at renting vibrator screed, never did it, afraid of bring to much water to the top.:thumbsup:

/ concrete roller screed, #4  
Really cool contraption....hope I never need such a thing...at my age - I'll pay the man. I've worked all the flat work I ever want to do in my lifetime. I never was any good at it anyway.

/ concrete roller screed, #6  
Just saw this and thought it was worth kicking the thread up again. Very nice work indeed. I have a fair amount of concrete work ahead of me around my place and was thinking the same thing, my back and knees are not so good anymore. I was looking at various power screeds screed options and ended up back on TBN where I should have started in the first place. I cant seem to find anyone local that rents the SpinScreed, they all seem to just rent the vibrating power screeds. I really think the rolling one seems to be less work and might have better results.

Couple of questions, if you don't mind answering them.
I was curious how long of steel tube did you use?
How heavy did it end up being?
Have you used it on many more jobs?
If one side of your pour is already finished concrete, do you do anything to protect the roller from scraping on the finished concrete?
Any chance you have a few more pictures you could share of the fabrication work?

-Marty

/ concrete roller screed, #7  
I seen this thread before and saved it .
For the roller , it is simple for me . I can go to my local scrap yard , ( they also sell New steel inside ) , and pick up what here in the Northwest is referred to as a " Dryer Roller " . Used in Plywood mills on the in feed and out feed of the Plywood driers . They are 20' long usually , with both ends already plugged . One end usually has a square 1" male drive piece welded to it while the other end , If I remember has a hole of unknown diameter .

I used one years ago to make a basketball pole . Dug a hole 4'+ deep , measured the hole . placed the backboard and rim at top end of pole with square drive plug . Measured down from top and cut pole off and dropped it into the hole . Came out to be 1/2" to high at rim initially , But by the next spring , cement and pole had settled 3/4" , thus was 1/4" short at rim . Stayed that way for 10+ years till my son left for the military , thus We cut it off .

I have to save threads like this , thus I can copy other's ideas . Very few creative ideas ever float into or out of my feeble brain .

Fred H.