diy canopy....will it work?

/ diy canopy....will it work? #1  

carson84

Tractor
2010 Mahindra 4025
Hello. I have a Mahindra 4025 and I've been drafting some plans for a canopy. Well, today while looking on Facebook, I see a guy has a retractable bed cover for an f250 for sale. He said that it won't lock and the paint's peeling. I started thinking about trying to use it as a retractable canopy and asked him how much. He said to bring him $30 and come get it. What do you think? Will it make a decent canopy? It's as wide as an f250 bed and is 6 ft long.

/ diy canopy....will it work? #2  
Thats going to be about 6 feet wide. How wide is the ROPS you are going to mount it to? Have you checked the dimensions of available tractor canopies to see what the dimensions of one made for your tractor are?

I'd tell tell the guy to give you $30 and you'll come get it! ;)

/ diy canopy....will it work? #3  
I have Fiberglass canopies on both tractors. Could have bought a steel for the same price as the first one new in '03.

If you can fab brackets and get some good plate bent for edges, building your own will work. If not, lots of good canopies available to bolt to the ROPS.

I don't think the retractable pickup cover will work very well. JMHO

/ diy canopy....will it work? #4  
canopy.jpg

I fixed up a temporary sunshield before raking hay and couple years ago and I still use it today. Can be removed it 30 seconds

/ diy canopy....will it work? #6  
Do you have a sheet metal fabricator nearby?
Purchase , say, 3 ft X 4 ft 16 gauge galvanized stock sheet, have him fold , say, 4 " edges down both sides and you have a canopy or roof.
Trim sides in a tapered fashion for that cool look et voila!
Metal, maybe $20 or so, shop labor 1 hour?= total less than $100.

Alternative, re cycle yard for sheet metal cut offs and a friendly shop with a metal brake.

/ diy canopy....will it work? #7  
Just go to the car junkyard to get a Ford Pinto hood. Bolt to ROPS and go. Just be careful that you do not get rear ended because Pintos explode when rear ended. ;-)

/ diy canopy....will it work? #8  
Just go to the car junkyard to get a Ford Pinto hood. Bolt to ROPS and go. Just be careful that you do not get rear ended because Pintos explode when rear ended. ;-)

Just put a good rear bumper on it, and you'll be fine.:confused2:

/ diy canopy....will it work? #10  
My neighbor has a Civic or Saturn hood for his sun shade worked out really great! He does body work on the side & it was a pull off damaged slightly in a front end bump & is Aluminum.

M