Simple Axle

/ Simple Axle #1  

mark1

Gold Member
Tractor
Jinma 284,Jd GT235,345,Trac-Vac1080
I used to have axcess to a great machine shop. Downsizing put an end to it tho.
Does anyone have use of a metal lathe that can make me 4 simple axle's
Just need 1" aluminum or steel rod,12" long with the first 3" from each end cut down to 5/8" and a hole in each end for a cotter pin.
I need to put wheels on a cart. all this for a price of course.Thanks
M.W. you can pm me thanks. actually it could even be made from wood if someone has a wood lathe.

/ Simple Axle #2  
I used to have axcess to a great machine shop. Downsizing put an end to it tho.
Does anyone have use of a metal lathe that can make me 4 simple axle's
Just need 1" aluminum or steel rod,12" long with the first 3" from each end cut down to 5/8" and a hole in each end for a cotter pin.
I need to put wheels on a cart. all this for a price of course.Thanks
M.W. you can pm me thanks. actually it could even be made from wood if someone has a wood lathe.

If there's so little force involved it can be done with wood, why not just use 5/8 cold roll and drill your own cotter pin holes?

Less than $5 online.

Order Alloy Steel 4130 Round in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com

/ Simple Axle #3  
Gee, box stores usually have a selection of rods and angle in a stand up display. Usually in 36" lengths.
If you must have the thicker mid section than slip the rod into a pipe or tube.
As said then drill holes for cotter pins.

/ Simple Axle #4  
could one take a .625 shaft and press it in to some bushings or Dom tube, may have to sand or file the shaft some, or ream the tube a touch,

since you said wood, could one take a dowel and use that for you 1" diameter and drill a hole out for the 5/8" shaft, if you need it solid epoxy it,

/ Simple Axle #5  
Here in Canada Princess Auto sells "stub axles". Harbour Freight probably does as well.

/ Simple Axle #6  
just do rod inside of tube or pipe.

/ Simple Axle #7  
I have used 5/8 cap screws welded into a square tube.

/ Simple Axle
Gee I never thought getting something made would be so difficult. Had I of had axcess to a lathe or welder I could do as the above members have suggested.but I don't I tried the wood dowell for an axel but too sloppy and they break to easy.as for a rod inside a tube or pipe,cannot find 1"od pipe that is 5/8" Id. I guess I'm back to my original thought and go fins a local machine shop

/ Simple Axle #10  
5/8 is a pretty standard axle size and any place like Princess Auto in Canada or Northern tool in the USA can sell you a 3 foot length. It will likely have a keyway cut into it but you can still drill a pin hole in the end. Also Surplus place advertized on this site.