Building a subsoiler

/ Building a subsoiler #11  
It looks like you have done a great job on building a "heck for stout" implement. I am looking forward to seeing it completed and tested.

/ Building a subsoiler #12  
Why a shear gate vs. a simple shear bolt? What is the top/swing bolt?

Thanks,

/ Building a subsoiler
Sorry for the poor nomenclature. What I called the top swing bolt is the hitch pin that acts as a pivot for the ripper if one of my shear bolts break. It is a standard cat 1 top hitch pin, 3/4" diameter.

I tried to explain the shear gate thing earlier. What I don't like about the single commonly used shear bolt is that when it shears, the ripper shank is going to drag the remaining piece of the bolt through the ripper holder. The sheared bolt can damage the ripper or the ripper mount. With my design, I feel, that less damage will be done when the unit is overloaded and shears.
Just a idea I am trying. I could always go back and drill the angle steel and ripper for a single shear bolt.

thanks

/ Building a subsoiler #14  
Good progress here! There is no doubt in my mind that it will work just as planned. I see it as a simple and effective desing.
For the tip, you could simply use another peice of 3/4 x 6 x10 inches long, so you weld that peice perpendicular to the bottom of the main plate, and give an angle around 45 deg. to form the tip.

/ Building a subsoiler #15  
Ok thanks Alan!

Good luck!

/ Building a subsoiler
I have the frame painted up, you can see I have added a chain hook and some square tube on the ends for a parking stand.
Did not spend much time on the painting of the point since it won't last long in the ground.

11081118_660335977431664_5586377741241614233_n.jpg

I have built the parking stands and just need to paint them.

/ Building a subsoiler #17  
That looks great! Hey, do us a favor. Weld some kind of rotation stop on that thing to prevent it from hitting you in the back of the head. What i worry about is that it can load up on something close to the surface, shear, then unload upward in a 200 degree arc. Not sure if it could happen or if it could articulate that far.

EDIT
Nevermind. I looked at the previous page and you look okay.

/ Building a subsoiler
That looks great! Hey, do us a favor. Weld some kind of rotation stop on that thing to prevent it from hitting you in the back of the head. What i worry about is that it can load up on something close to the surface, shear, then unload upward in a 200 degree arc. Not sure if it could happen or if it could articulate that far.

EDIT
Nevermind. I looked at the previous page and you look okay.

Thanks for the concern. Yeah it will swing, from vertical down, about 100 degrees before it binds. I do think it is a good idea for the ripper to not be able to swing all the way around. I find it very hard to believe that a 3/4"x6" piece of steel would load up like a leaf spring though. It will be interesting if it jumps or does anything weird if or when the shear function gives.

It is chilling thought of a 50lb hunk of metal swinging around like a guillotine.

Anyhow...
I used it a little tonight and the ground is just way to wet around here. I was only in the ground for about 40 feet before I gave up due to the mess my tires were making. It did pull, but the tires were slipping to much.

/ Building a subsoiler #19  
That is a good looking rig!... Now go get it in the ground, and get some of that paint off of it!:thumbsup:

/ Building a subsoiler #20  
Nice design and excellent fabrication skills! Can't wait for things to dry up so you can give it a real test.

When are you going into production? :eek:ptimist: