question, lifting/draging logs

/ question, lifting/draging logs #1  

oakwood

Tractor
kubota 7200
hello fellow tractor nuts /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif im new to this sight and have made only one posting. but i do enjoy the information you can pick up here,,not to mention the humor. i have a kubota B7200 that i want to use to lift and transport logs out of the forest. im sure this has been discussed before in here but i couldnt locate it. would it be safe to use the 3 pt. lift in back for picking up logs and draging them. im inclined to think the draging might put undo strain on the rear of the tractor. if so, then how should the logs be attached/ secured for draging? this will probly be an easy one for you veterans. but us newtractor owners have to get our education somewhere /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif any imput will be appreciated,,,oakwood

/ question, lifting/draging logs #2  
I have a B7100. I use the three point to lift and drag. Lifting gives me more traction. The front bucket is also full of rocks to prevent a back flip when I do this.

Egon

Last edited:
   / question, lifting/draging logs #3  
Hello Oakwood and welcome to this site.

The topic you raise has been discussed before as many of us use our tractors for that purpose. Many have used the 3PH to drag logs and there are devices that attach to a 3PH that can assist you in lifting the end of a log some with hydraulic arms.

I made a log hauling trailer to move logs out of the woods. I can lift the whole log off the ground and transport it to another location. The biggest log I have moved was around 24" diameter by 12' long. The advantages to lifting the whole log off the ground is they stay cleaner, don't damage the ground, and are easier to move.

Now that the wife has purchased a digital camera I will try to post a few pictures of this device. It cost me around $150.00 to build but this was over 20 years ago.

Just becareful moving logs with the 3PH, when you the log stops the tractor may like to lift it's front feet off the ground. Weight in the bucket will help, going slow is advisable also.

Randy

/ question, lifting/draging logs #4  
Do a search on "logging tongs" and I think you will enjoy the different approaches several are using. Myself, I like the logging tongs on the 3pt quick tach (Deere I-match, speedco, etc.) and with being careful of the front end getting light, pull all my logs out of the woods with that setup.

I have used this sytem for 40+ years, beginning with an 8N Ford, then a TO30 Ferguson, Deere 420, and now my Deere 4300.

Some claim the tractor will flip over backwards suddenly, which needs some interpretation as to what "suddenly" means. I've never felt uncomfortable pulling logs this way, as the tractor will give you plenty of time to react if the front end begins to come up - put the clutch in, lower the 3pt hitch, turn off the ignition key are three choices to get the front end to come back down. I usually only use one - that being lowering the 3pt. Sometimes the log will just be too big to pull this way. Then the chainsaw can shorten the log to make it easier.

With your tractor, I doubt you will have any problem pulling logs with it. Some trial runs will give you a good idea what you can do and what you cannot do, with or without the loader on (I like the extra weight of the loader).

Their are winch arrangements that go on the 3pt, and drop to the ground to prevent the tractor from rearing up, one such attachment is called a Farmi winch, but there are others (Fransgaard) as well. They do a better job of snaking in logs to the tractor for pulling out of the woods. Cost more too, than just a quick tach ($200) and logging tongs ($100).

Attachments

• 374679-logging2.JPG
    374679-logging2.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 743
   / question, lifting/draging logs #5  
I am not fimilar with the size tractor that you have but this is what has worked for me. I put the drawbar in the 3ph arms and put a clevis type grab on it. I then back up to the log and let the 3ph down until the drawbar rest on the log, with the choker chain already attached to the log I then hook it the the hook on the drawbar, then raise the 3ph, this will pick the log just a little and thats all that you need. The theroy being that the log is under the drawbar and that if the front does come up it will only come up as far as the 3ph will go down. I know that that can be a lot some times be remember when working in the woods be extra careful. Also you can never be too careful.

/ question, lifting/draging logs #6  
I wouldn't worry about straining the 3pt. The tractor is designed so the 3pt can hold the tractor until it runs out of traction or power. Be sure to check the bolts regularly where the lift arms connect. Just don't do any running starts with a slack chain, not only will you rip the tractor apart you might find yourself over the hood.
I use a winch of my own design that people have put on tractors as small as 16hp up to 35hp. If you do a lot of log work, nothing can replace one as when in a tough place you can pay out the line and winch the load to you.