PTO Log Splitter

/ PTO Log Splitter #1  

hwatkins

Tractor
Kubota B2920
I needed a log splitter and I'm sure the cheapest route would have been to buy one already made, but I really hate the sound of small engines and I didn't want another engine to maintain. I went the route of building one powered by my Kubota B2920.

The main parts were:
Northern Tool Log Splitter Kit (Ram and some other pieces)
Prince Model LS3060 Rapid Extend Log Splitter Valve
Prince PTO HC-PTO-2AC Pump

First part was welding the anchor block to the beam to mount the ram on.
IMG_2924.jpg
IMG_2930.jpg

I had to cut the beam down, but didn't have a torch, used the sawzall, tedious but it worked.
IMG_2933.jpg

This is where the lower link arms will hook up.
IMG_2938.jpg

Stiffened the bottom plate up with channel to keep it from bending
IMG_2996.jpg
IMG_2999.jpg

Main framework complete and painted
IMG_3049.jpg

Project finished, splitting some test logs: https://youtu.be/sz4ni1fqI0c

/ PTO Log Splitter #3  
Do you have height enough to set it on blocks so the splits fall away? I'd be impatient.
Jim

/ PTO Log Splitter #4  
Nice build. Curious why you went with vertical rather than horizontal??

/ PTO Log Splitter
Brad: Thanks!

Jim: If I lifted it up while splitting I could probably get it to fall away, but most logs are pretty large around so I have to shift them multiple times to split up completely anyway, so not falling away is really not a problem.

Richard: Most of the wood I'll be splitting is large mature oak trees, 18+ inches in diameter, the cut logs weight 100+ lbs a piece. Unless I built a log lifter for the horizontal splitter it would be a bear to get those up to cutting height. Much easier for me to roll them over to the vertical splitter.

We burn about 1/2 cord of wood a year, so maximum productivity is not the top concern.

It was a fun build, only thing I not real happy with is with the Kubota's PTO shield the PTO pump is a tight fit. I might try to figure out a way to build a mount for the pump off the splitter and then run a PTO shaft to the pump. The PTO pump is a female connection and every shaft I've seen connects male PTO shaft to male attachment shaft. I guess I would have to get a long male shaft to fit through the PTO pump and then extend out to hook the other shaft on.

/ PTO Log Splitter #6  
Great job. I like the idea of rolling the logs in, rather than having to pick them up to lay on it.

/ PTO Log Splitter #7  
With a 3pt horizontal splitter you simply lower the splitter to the ground for those large ones. On everything else you are always working at the perfect height. Add a catch tray and you don't even hafta pick up the splits off the ground.

Nice build. Good for a man's Soul isn't it. :)

/ PTO Log Splitter
Nice build. Good for a man's Soul isn't it. :)

Absolutely true, both welding and splitting wood are incredibly therapeutic, nice change from sitting behind a desk during the day....

/ PTO Log Splitter #9  
Me too. Can't stand some pissy-asss little engine screaming away! Gives me a head ache.

But PTO splitters are always so slow! My solution, and it's coming together, is to build a splitter that runs off my loader hydraulics but is controlled electrically. It will completely cycle forward and back so you don't have to stand there like a union worker watching the wood split. You can pick up or pile wood while the splitter is doing it's thing albeit maybe somewhat more slowly then an engine driven unit.

/ PTO Log Splitter #10  
I hate 4-way wedges. Make too much little crap like shown @ 1:36-1:40 in the video.

I will ask, what size ram did you use? Seems awfully slow in low speed for an 11gpm pump?

And something just dont sound right when in rapid mode. That valve is only supposed to be used with 4gpm. Feeding it 11+gpm and you are trying to move too much fluid through the valve I am afraid.

Nice build overall, and it may just be the video, but like I said, something just dont sound right. And I think it is the mis-match of components.