Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference?

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
I am building my dream of a log splitter. In the process, I managed to obtain a surplus Wallenstein Horizontal Splitter. I was a little dismayed to see that the wedge is on the end and the pusher plate on the cylinder. As I am going to skid steer plate attach this to my loader, I won't be able to use it vertically, quite as readily. One would have to balance the large log on the wedge!

I am going with what I have, but I wonder if anyone has any ideas what the advantage or disadvantage is of one orientation vs the other.

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #2  
I have used both styles, and find that I prefer the wedge to be on the end.

Using a 4 way wedge all 4 pieces fall to the ground... I grab another round and go vs Wedge on the ram leaves the splits in the log rack needing manual removal before dropping the next round on.

Not sure there is any other functional difference or strength advantage, but this was the only working difference that i I noticed.

-J

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #3  
Certainly! The only time you want the wedge on the cylinder rod is if you want a vertical split option. And after you do that a couple of times you find it is a pain in the neck and figure a way to get your tractor to lift the blocks up to a horizontal beam.
The best way is to have the wedge on the end of the beam with a steel work table on both sides and beyond it to catch the splits as they fall away from the wedge. Then you can just slide those that need to be split again back into place without bending down to pick them up. Makes a world of difference over a cord or two.
:2cents::soapbox:

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference?
I've used enough splitters over the years and yet never encountered this wedge on the end orientation.

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #5  
   / Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #6  
Sure is a lot of logsplitter builds going on recently. I built mine last year. And as of recent, rswyan, mikefromnh, hwatkins, and now you are all building. Certainly alot of good info to review for someone wanting to build one now.

As to the wedge, the only time I like it on the ram is for vertical operation. In horizontal mode, it is less convenient. The piece being split dont move. Thus dont clear out of your way. Or if you dont have a table, they fall to the ground and in no time pieces are rolling under the splitter and you are walking over them and they are in they way. Other option is to chuck the pieces into a pile somewhere which adds work.

With the wedge on the end, and a nice table, the pieces fall off out of the way. Once the pile is large enough that pieces no longer fall to the ground, the splitter keeps pushing them back. Once the pile is big enough, it may push the splitter forward. Thats when its time to pull forward 5' and continue.

Or, if you build the working height tall enough like I did, and have a wood hauling trailer, you can back up to the trailer, and all the split pieces drop onto the trailer deck. Subsequent splitting pushes pieces farther toward the front of the trailer til there is enough in there to stack, then rinse and repeat.

It all boils down to personal preference though. If you dont cut anything large enough to justify vertical, then I think you will like the wedge on the beam. Do you know anyone that has one and you could possibly try? Maybe offer to split a half cord for them to see for yourself?

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #7  
My Brave has the wedge on the ram and the cradles hold the spit wood, I like it and I don't, it's good if I'm piling wood in one spot but If you want to spread the wood by just moving the splitter and not having to handle the wood again and again, the wedge on the end is best IMO.. Also the bigger the pile of wood the longer it takes to dry..

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #8  
Wedge on beam is what I built. I hated splitting vertical with my box store splitter....never could get comfortable.

If you are building it on a ssqa you can always keep it horizontal and lower it to roll on the big rounds. And then lift the splitter back up to a comfortable height for the smaller rounds.

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #9  
Use it horizontal, with the wedge underneath the beam. Split your wood on the ground and stay in the bobcat. Big ones little ones it does not matter. Gather back up with your bucket or push into a pile until dry.

/ Logsplitter Wedge, This way or That, Whats the Difference? #10  
FYI with the wedge on the beam you are chasing the wood. Just the opposite with the wedge on the ram. The wood is stationary. Later.