non pro building sight level????

/ non pro building sight level???? #1  

Ed of all trades

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere X310, JD LA 145
What do you non pro. Builders use to level your building pad. Laser, transit, or ???? Hoping to build a shop this summer and need something but can't see $400 or so. Thanks Ed

/ non pro building sight level???? #2  
Garden hose and some fittings to attach some clear tubing to the ends.

image.jpg

/ non pro building sight level???? #3  
If you want cheap and have time to diddle with it, how about a water level? All you need to make one is a garden hose, 4-5 feet of clear tubing, a few hose fittings and you're done - I did one several years ago, I can save you one PITA by suggesting CAPS for both pieces of clear tubing - just remember to loosen both caps once the hose is in place, or it will LIE to you... Steve

/ non pro building sight level????
I have a lot of dirt to move and was hoping for something that I could use for grade work. Wouldn't the hose be hard to grade with?

/ non pro building sight level???? #6  
You can rent a surveyor's kit pretty cheap. Can also use the Theodolite app on iPhone/iPad with a tripod and shoot elevations.

/ non pro building sight level???? #9  
I have a lot of dirt to move and was hoping for something that I could use for grade work. Wouldn't the hose be hard to grade with?

The transit doesn't move much material either! ;-)

But I think....if you use the leveling tools of your choice to SET GRADE PEGS in the ground, you can do just about anything you want to between the grade pegs, and always come back and pull a string to see how you are progressing.

/ non pro building sight level???? #10  
That looks good, just have to figure out something to hold the grade rod.

There is a reason some men marry!

It's not all cooking, house keeping and sex! ;-)