tractor for maximum traction

/ tractor for maximum traction #1  

omran mubarak

Tractor
massy
hi iam Omran i am from sudan i asked how to maximizing tractor traction and how to do a tractor traction test in the field and what to do to imrove the traction

/ tractor for maximum traction #2  
:welcome:
To TBN Omran from the USA. Normally it is weight and the right tires.

/ tractor for maximum traction
thanks Mddorange i have a project in university of khartoum talking about how to maximizing tractor traction if you have any informations about it please help me
which is the best for tractor traction in uphill or in downhill and what is factors effecting tractors traction (increase and decrease )
and what i have to do in the field to do traction test ?
please help me
and thanks again

/ tractor for maximum traction #4  
Welcome to TBN...........

As mentioned, tractor weight, R1 Ag tires, 4wd, and filled tires will give the most traction in a field.

/ tractor for maximum traction
thanks George 2615 and if you have any informations about the field test and the factors effecting the traction ( decrease) please help me
and thanks again

/ tractor for maximum traction #6  
thanks George 2615 and if you have any informations about the field test and the factors effecting the traction ( decrease) please help me
and thanks again

Traction will depend on the type and weight of implement you are trying to pull. Also ground conditions whether wet or dry, sand or clay, etc. Real hard to tell you how to improve traction or test. We need more info from you on the tractor, implement, ground conditions etc.
Going up or down hills you are fighting gravity to get traction. In this situation 4wd will help.

/ tractor for maximum traction #7  
Tons of variables. No two field tests are gonna be the same. Cause no two fields are gonna be the same. Even the same field will have different conditions on different days.

Typically, in dryer conditions on harder surfaces, more weight = more traction. Everyone has pretty much said that. So to "answer" your question, if you want more traction, add weight, if you want less, remove weight.

Tires dont make a huge difference on hard dry packed surfaces. But wet or loose soil or mud, agressive tires help. Rice tires probably being the best, then R1's then R4's

As far as field tests, tractordata.com usually has links to nebraska tests, which have drawbar pull ratings for different tractors, and at varying rates of ballast and in different gears. But again, what "they" test you may not be able to duplicate if you dont have similar ground conditions.

Hitching point is also another way to increase traction. Hitching higher pulls down on the rear (adding weight). But you have to be carefull not to flip over and have pleanty of weight up front. Look at tractor pullers. They hitch high with a short chain.

/ tractor for maximum traction #9  
From my John Deere owners manual.
To measure wheel slip.
1. place a mark on a rear tire which is easy to see (chalk mark)
2. With tractor working mark a starting point on the ground (B) where tire mark (A) meets the ground.
3. Mark the ground again when the tire mark (A) makes ten complete revolutions.(C)
4. With the implement raised turn around and come to mark (C) and remark the tire where(D) it touches the ground at mark (C)
5 Drive back to mark (B) with the implement raised and count the tire revolutions required to reach starting point (B)
Do the math.
If you have 9 revolutions to return you have 10% wheel slip which is good 8 1/2 revolutions is 15% slip and is also acceptable 8 or less is too much slip and you should add ballast. 10 or 9 1/2 is too little and you should remove ballast.
I hope that helps you.

/ tractor for maximum traction #10  
If you have 9 revolutions to return you have 10% wheel slip which is good 8 1/2 revolutions is 15% slip and is also acceptable 8 or less is too much slip and you should add ballast. 10 or 9 1/2 is too little and you should remove ballast.
I hope that helps you.

I guess someone may have to educate me. But why would you want any wheel slip if you can avoid it?