easly movable scafold build

/ easly movable scafold build #1  

BHD

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4020
I have been needing to work on the house and some other projects, that need some scaffolding, the one projects the platform needs to be easily moved and fast so the lower section can be done at the same time,

so I got thinking a small trailer would be a good place to start, so looking around the farm I had saved back a axel and part frame of a old corn elevator, the elevator had been scraped years before,
Did not take a picture of the start of it, her is it up side down when I was welding the under side,
added some more frame and extended the frame on the ends, put some removable steps, and some receiver hitch tubing, on the corners to hold and support some jacks and the extendable posts, for a raised platform up to 10 feet, the bed is 3 feet high,

here is the basic trailer with deck and hitch,

more pictures of the build

the corners , stabilizing jacks, and pockets for extendable poles.

the jacks allows one to stabilize and level the platform

painting of the extension posts

got to use it to day

/ easly movable scafold build #2  
5 metre scaffold, on top of old rainwater tank stand, on top of trailer... plus lots of rope and straps to hold it all together....

Attachments

• Photo0098.jpg
    Photo0098.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 338
   / easly movable scafold build #3  
I like what you've done, BHD.

I've been thinking of something similar, and found a way not to do it.

This looks like a decent idea, but poor implementation.

A_c90113bb16.jpg

The story:
Mobile scaffold tower | News | Vertikal.net

Bruce

/ easly movable scafold build
I have some 1 inch square tubing on order. for some railing if one is working up higher, and if using a full deck up on top I will add a sheet of plywood for making all deck planks work together,

and if needed one could make a second set of poles and cross braces and supports to go higher,

currently I have no need for higher,

/ easly movable scafold build #5  
Interesting thread... I have a similar need for a few projects. The first is doing the second story fascia trim/gutters/etc. on my house. The second is new gutters/fascia/soffits/etc. on my barn.

My plan is similar to alchemysa's... I am going to temporarily commandeer my 6x10 dump trailer. I have four 16' 6x6 posts I will put one in each corner, and build a platform at the top. There will be wood diagonal bracing as well as ratchet straps to hold the whole thing together.

This will make a nice beefy surface I can put a miter saw, materials, etc... and work quickly without any fear.

/ easly movable scafold build #6  
On construction projects I work on we have something calls "farm wagons". They are kind of like what BHD has built, but with a few changes.

There are stubs that scaffold tube a fit over. These stubs have holes that line up with the bottom of the scaffold tubes to put a pin through.

It has four wheels with a tow bar, exactly like a hay wagon would have, and no suspension to reduce the chance of it toppling over. With a set of screw jacks, you can level the scaffold on uneven ground.

The large tires make it easy to roll. Quite often it can be moved by hand, instead of using a vehicle.

Here is a link so you can see kind of what I am talking about.

http://http://www.belluzconcrete.com/scaffold/113-rentals/scaffold/530-scaffold-wagon-24-tires

/ easly movable scafold build #7  
On construction projects I work on we have something calls "farm wagons". They are kind of like what BHD has built, but with a few changes.

There are stubs that scaffold tube a fit over. These stubs have holes that line up with the bottom of the scaffold tubes to put a pin through.

It has four wheels with a tow bar, exactly like a hay wagon would have, and no suspension to reduce the chance of it toppling over. With a set of screw jacks, you can level the scaffold on uneven ground.

The large tires make it easy to roll. Quite often it can be moved by hand, instead of using a vehicle.

Here is a link so you can see kind of what I am talking about.

http://http://www.belluzconcrete.com/scaffold/113-rentals/scaffold/530-scaffold-wagon-24-tires

Interesting. My running gear has four steel tubes sticking up, about 8" high I would guess, with pin holes near the top. I wonder if it's for scaffolding?

/ easly movable scafold build #8  
It could be for scaffold use. The link I put up is a smaller version of what I am used to seeing. The wagons I am used to, are about 10ft long and 6ft wide.

They are typically used for tube and clamp scaffold, frame scaffolds are not usually used on the type of sites I work at.

/ easly movable scafold build
My original Idea was to use a 4 wheel trailer (farm trailer) type frame but I had this and it was free, and was the height I was wanting for the first project, the lumber I used to deck it was used I took out of a old barn, so my cost in the trailer is the ball hitch, some scrap steel, and mis-tint paint I bought for a few dollars a gallon,

and for the extension, the Jacks @ $40 each, for the 3 foot level I will not use the jacks but, the extension was more expensive, of course, @ the 2 inch tubing and some other steel, $170 retail*, the planks, $20 each, (three I had), and some bolts, and the receiver tube was about a buck an inch, for the side pockets and jack receivers), so total cost about $440, (*I did get some discount on some of the steel). maybe with the springs I could have omitted the jacks but I like the idea of leveling if needed and it is solid with or with out the tractor attached when using the jacks on the corners,

the Deck size is 6 wide and 8 foot long, the planks are 10 foot long,

/ easly movable scafold build #10  
The base trailer is a good idea, but the scaffold itself could more easily be achieved with standard alloy sections. I got mine from a retired builder for next to nothing. The vertical frames are welded and the high tensile tubes click into place with snap-on grips. The diagonal ones are important to prevent tilting

To stop the frame from moving on the trailer. just bolt two timber planks across, with holes to take the uprights. Extra holes would allow the frames to be repositioned as required.

Hope this helps

Alan

Attachments

• alloy_scaffold.jpg
    alloy_scaffold.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 166