Small square bale hay handler made from a old pickup truck

/ Small square bale hay handler made from a old pickup truck #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
I'm just thinkin' here. Anyone seen any videos or pictures of a small square bale handler made from a pickup truck. I've seen bale beds made for big round bales but nothing for small squares. There got to be someone with a crazy imagination besides me out there that's already experiment with small time bale movers. I'm thinking moving 20-30 bales at a time to a close by stacking area. I know most people just go buy factory made stuff. I'm a real backwoods, gotta build it myself nut job. Lots of old pickups setting around me. No cheap labor either. If the hays gonna be move off the field I gotta do it. I've seen some real crazy stuff on the Internet so if you seen something like what I'm talkin' about post a link. bjr

/ Small square bale hay handler made from a old pickup truck #2  
the bale wagon that was popular when small squares were around here was the New Holland bale wagon.

https://www.google.com/search?q=new...EoWlNsWtgbgK&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAw&biw=1024&bih=640

basically a pick up, and then it would load a section with bales and then move them back a second and then a third row, and then tilt up that section on to a bed that would in the end go and raise up like a dump bed to 90 degrees and push then in to a stack,

for a pick up, using the first deck and then tiling it to stack them could be a working option,

/ Small square bale hay handler made from a old pickup truck #3  
Could you make a small grapple to stack them on a pickup on edge and make an unloader like a bale wagon? :2cents:

/ Small square bale hay handler made from a old pickup truck #4  
"There got to be someone with a crazy imagination besides me out there that's already experiment with small time bale movers"

I may qualify as crazy. Here's the combination bale accumulator/bale squeeze I built about 6 years ago to work with my 2008 Mahindra 5525 tractor.

Bale sqeeze-2.JPGBale squeeze-1.JPGBale squeeze-3.JPGBale squeeze-SSQA.JPG

Sized for 8 small square bales. Got to the testing stage but my attention was diverted into other projects. Sold it when I sold my 10 acre ranch earlier this year.

Good luck

/ Small square bale hay handler made from a old pickup truck #6  
Old school busses with the body cut off were common at one time.

/ Small square bale hay handler made from a old pickup truck #7  
   / Small square bale hay handler made from a old pickup truck #8  
I remember back when I was on the farm we had a bale wagon that was basically just a big tilting flat bed. You had to stack the bales manually but we used a Farmhand front end loader to set the small 15 bale triangular stacks from the automatic stacker onto the deck and then one guy could stack the bales layer by layer. To unload, you backed in to where you wanted the stack, tipped it up with the hydraulics and then used a hydraulic powered winch was connected to a bulkhead across the front to push the wagon out from under the stack. You did have to build the stack at the back on a slope to prevent it from falling apart when you titled the wagon. As I recall, we'd routinely load somewheres between 500 and 550 bales at a time. 3 guys could move a lot of bales in a day with that rig.

Before that we used to have a small gravity tilting trailer that we would pull behind the baler and we'd stack 42 bales on it before we would stop, tilt it, then drive forwards letting the bales slide off. We'd leave the small stcks in the field until we finished hating and then later when it cooled down or was too wet to bale, we'd haul the smaller stacks home on the old wood wagon, 168 bales at a time. It was made from the solid front axle off an old For and it had 4.50 X 21 tires exactly like in the pic and a steel and wood framework and deck. I'm not sure of the deck size but the it sat between the tires. Very handy thing too, we used it for everything! It was just right for fencing, too.

64-22271.jpg