How to build loft ideas.

/ How to build loft ideas. #1  

dlbott

Tractor
kubuto
Hey all, glad to meet everyone... name is don and family and i live on 6 acre place in Louisiana. we have been out here about 7 or 8 years now and we are learning allot. We did not grow up in this environment so everything has been new. We have not ventured into doing a whole lot yet besides having three horses. Slowly learning to do things and someday hope to grow enough food for the family for the year and become self sufficient. I see the world going to **** and a hand basket and think we are going to need to live like they did along time ago soon lol. Any way, that is another story... I am so glad I found the site as I can already see there are some great people here that love to help and i look forward to learning from all of you.

Now to immediate issue... wife picked up a metal barn from a company that was moving... the shell of these things are not very strong and just has sheet metal covering. Not really what I wanted but it will have to do.. money is always issue for us.. never have any lol... anyway i want to build loft for hey and other storage. Thought I would start down the center where the tallest part is. the metal support poles are useless to support any weight I would think. In order to drive tractor in here it can only have side poles. was wondering how to build it strong enough to support weight this way. I thought I would use 4x4 or 4x6 post, cemented running along each side and spread just far enough a part so that 4 x 8 3/4 inch ply wood would lay nicely long ways. thought about using two 2 x 6 with hanging brackets going across for the cross beams and then hang however many I needed long ways to make it across from one side to the other laying 4 x 8 longways. I don't remember how wide that section would be but I reckon ten feet or more so at least two sheets wide maybe part of nother one. Using hanging brackets and good screws do you guys and gals think that would be strong enough to support weight and is that the best and or easiest way to do it...

this is all new to us so all suggestions are welcome and we appreciate everything.... I might try to do something to raise some chickens first, but that would be another thread, or i am sure there are already some to check out....

thanks again for everything

don

/ How to build loft ideas. #2  
:welcome:
From Texas

/ How to build loft ideas. #3  
Welcome

some pictures of the existing barn would help, then print one out and sketch on it your additions and scan or photograph it, and post it,

some metal buildings have some extra built in them and some are only good to support them self,

kind of like the old steel garden shed, hardly will support them self.

I would suggest with out seeing more, to build the loft self supporting, posts on each end and not trust the building to support any of it,

post a picture of the building and I may change my suggestions,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

depth is were strength come from in building materials,

if one takes a 2x12 by 10 foot,
for example putting it on edge it has a great weight carrying ability, would be in the 1000's of pounds

where on it side it may break with less than a few hundred pounds on it.

some support posts, with some type of header going between post to post, with some joists running across them with a ply wood covering,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

another set of examples
when used a beam

2x6 is stronger than 4x4 (about the same capacity)
(a ten foot span would be in the 64 to 68 pounds per foot as a beam)

2x8 stronger than a 3x6 (about the same capacity)
would be in the 115 to 120 pounds per foot @10'

2x10 is just a touch less than 3x8 (about the same capacity)
would be in the 190 to 200 pounds per foot @10 foot length between supports

2x12 is just a touch less than 3x10 (about the same capacity)
2x12 is stronger than 4x8 (about the same capacity)
( 275 to 325 pounds per foot @ 10').

disclaimer:
yes I read these numbers off of a beam calculator, but before building have any structural requirement refigured by a person knowledgeable in the field,

Last edited:
   / How to build loft ideas.
Hi, thanks for the reply... here is link to picture when they were taking it down... my son is doing it... have to tell ya, this was my wife's deal and man I hope it stays up lol.... gonna be expensive pile of metal if it does not lol...

Anyway, the metal posts are not very substantial and I don't think I would put anything on them... course it could be stronger than I think also lol.. I just figured it would be safer to build it independent of the building frame. I could go all the way across but initially was just thinking about down the middle area where it is so high... there can be no middle post so that the tracter will fit inside..

let me know what you think.... and thanks again.....

don
20150417_145959.jpg
1bP1RBD

Welcome

some pictures of the existing barn would help, then print one out and sketch on it your additions and scan or photograph it, and post it,

some metal buildings have some extra built in them and some are only good to support them self,

kind of like the old steel garden shed, hardly will support them self.

I would suggest with out seeing more, to build the loft self supporting, posts on each end and not trust the building to support any of it,

post a picture of the building and I may change my suggestions,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

depth is were strength come from in building materials,

if one takes a 2x12 by 10 foot,
for example putting it on edge it has a great weight carrying ability, would be in the 1000's of pounds

where on it side it may break with less than a few hundred pounds on it.

some support posts, with some type of header going between post to post, with some joists running across them with a ply wood covering,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

another set of examples
when used a beam

2x6 is stronger than 4x4 (about the same capacity)
(a ten foot span would be in the 64 to 68 pounds per foot as a beam)

2x8 stronger than a 3x6 (about the same capacity)
would be in the 115 to 120 pounds per foot @10'

2x10 is just a touch less than 3x8 (about the same capacity)
would be in the 190 to 200 pounds per foot @10 foot length between supports

2x12 is just a touch less than 3x10 (about the same capacity)
2x12 is stronger than 4x8 (about the same capacity)
( 275 to 325 pounds per foot @ 10').

disclaimer:
yes I read these numbers off of a beam calculator, but before building have any structural requirement refigured by a person knowledgeable in the field,

found a pic of what it looks like, supposed to look like when it is up... if i can get link to work....

9b2c4b44fb86522964124ed80d03c5e8_XL.jpg

/ How to build loft ideas. #6  
If it was mine and wanted to put a floor in the center section, I would saddle up to the center posts with a second post, (my guess is the posts you have is 2x2" 12 gauge post,

since it is steel building I would most like use steel, and put a flat steel flat, say 1/8 to 3/16, x 7" across the building laping on the posts, then bolt (drill on the ground) a 2x8 on each side on the lap side extend the lap side by the posts and bolt to the post, on the inside lumber cut to length between the posts, (one could skip the steel plate but it would add a great amount of strength).

then use joist hangers and put joists across the beams you bolted to the posts,
Don't know the span between posts but one may be able to get by with 2x6, 16 inches on center, and then floor it with ply wood, at least 5/8 preferable 3/4" ( I may build it all out of steel, but my guess is wood would be easer for you to work with, take 2 light gauge of tube 2x2 and weld a thin flat to spread them say 8" over all and make a I beam like structure, and it would be far stronger than wood, but for joists would be a little harder than wood and most like cost more if a rectangle steel tube was used over 2 x lumber,

one more thought one could contact the manufacture they may have a loft kit,

Last edited:
   / How to build loft ideas. #7  
I have similar Idea that I would like to build in time, for a wood shop, patterned off of a old barn plan I found,

I would want the old look, but have considered using a metal frame, use a tube 3x6 or similar to build the frame out of weld it up and then use some rafters put a metal roof on it and most likely stucco the sides, many of my other buildings are stucco,

the ultimate desire would be a post and beam design, with tongue and groove planking for the roof deck but the center would have a loft in it for the stain glass studio, and the wood working on the ground floor, the loft would be enclosed, and wood paneling on the inside, (not the 70' 4x8 sheets but real tongue and groove 1" by lumber.barn Idea 2.jpg

just a dream most likely,

I hope your building works out to your desire,

If I ran across a deal like yours I would most likely have jumped on it as well, I could deal with having 90% of my desire for a good price,

I have similar Idea that I would like to build in time, for a wood shop, patterned off of a old barn plan I found,

I would want the old look, but have considered using a metal frame, use a tube 3x6 or similar to build the frame out of weld it up and then use some rafters put a metal roof on it and most likely stucco the sides, many of my other buildings are stucco,

the ultimate desire would be a post and beam design, with tongue and groove planking for the roof deck but the center would have a loft in it for the stain glass studio, and the wood working on the ground floor, the loft would be enclosed, and wood paneling on the inside, (not the 70' 4x8 sheets but real tongue and groove 1" by lumber.View attachment 423259

just a dream most likely,

I hope your building works out to your desire,

If I ran across a deal like yours I would most likely have jumped on it as well, I could deal with having 90% of my desire for a good price,

Well, I don't have a welder yet, it is on the list to get one day. I am trying to do all this being messed up physically and never having the benefit of ever being taught how to do anything like this. My son is one of the lost generations. Now 31 and still living at home when not laying up with friends or some girl somewhere. Still paying his insurance and giving money when can. Some of you know the deal. Well he supposed to do allot of these physical things knowing the ruptured and deteriorated discs in my back and the nerve damage I have makes it hard for me to do. Well, sun been out finally for week and he no where to be found lol. Oh, what is a parent to do...was not raised this way lol...

Anyway, probably gonna have to try and figure out how it goes back together myself and figure out how to do this loft myself as well. Any actual pictures and instructions most helpful. Have some idea's like i said with 2 x 6 and joist hangers. figured put the 4x4 in the ground with concrete and then put either another 4 x 4 post in joist hanger on top of post to mount the floor on or 2 2 x 6. I have idea but no experience so why I am here. Not exactly sure idea's are right or it will come together. So any help here appreciated... this will be long term project anyways as I don't have money to just complete it. Although I really need to... need the room up there to store things and try and put some hay up while it is cheaper.

Not sure, we love it here but my dream of becoming self seficient and off the grid maybe more than I can handle... lol....

Giving it a go though.... the the world is headed we may be to close to the coast but I am glad we are in the country, would not want to be in the city. Going to heck in a hand basket.... all us folks in the country going to have to stick together lol

thank you all, keep ideas, pictures and instructions coming... the more detailed the better...

don

/ How to build loft ideas. #9  
First of all why I am recommending the 2x8 is the head room and the loft height, if more room was available I would use 2x12's why I am suggesting the steel plate for added reinforcement, If you chose not to use the steel plate use three 2x8 for a beam lapping one of he at least on to the posts and setting on top of the posts,

my guess your spanning 12' across the middle of the barn, and the tubing is 2"x2" 12 gauge,

the posts look more like 6 feet apart the 2"x6" should be more than able to handle the load if one does not get stupid with what one ups up there,

Use joist hangers and there special nails to install them.

drill as much as one can on the ground, on the tubing drill the new posts, clamp it up to the old and drill the old (the bolts should line up), after the first hole put a bolt in it to keep the post from shifting (keep it clamped).

I suggest 3/4 inch ply wood, for the floor (the quality of ply wood CDX, is not the greatest, and I dislike the wafer board, but if OSB, wafer board is used, 3/4")

below is two sketches,

disclaimer,
Build at your own risk,
I have not see the building or inspected it, this is what I think I would try, but I have not looked up specifications or used a beam calculator to make my choices, this is my gut feelings,

Attachments

• sketch0002.jpg
    sketch0002.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 102
  • sketch0001.jpg
    sketch0001.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 108
First of all why I am recommending the 2x8 is the head room and the loft height, if more room was available I would use 2x12's why I am suggesting the steel plate for added reinforcement, If you chose not to use the steel plate use three 2x8 for a beam lapping one of he at least on to the posts and setting on top of the posts,

my guess your spanning 12' across the middle of the barn, and the tubing is 2"x2" 12 gauge,

the posts look more like 6 feet apart the 2"x6" should be more than able to handle the load if one does not get stupid with what one ups up there,

Use joist hangers and there special nails to install them.

drill as much as one can on the ground, on the tubing drill the new posts, clamp it up to the old and drill the old (the bolts should line up), after the first hole put a bolt in it to keep the post from shifting (keep it clamped).

I suggest 3/4 inch ply wood, for the floor (the quality of ply wood CDX, is not the greatest, and I dislike the wafer board, but if OSB, wafer board is used, 3/4")

below is two sketches,

disclaimer,
Build at your own risk,
I have not see the building or inspected it, this is what I think I would try, but I have not looked up specifications or used a beam calculator to make my choices, this is my gut feelings,

Great post, thanks, this is what I need folks.... good ideas with paint by the numbers instructions lol... build a stand alone loft by the numbers lol.... nice ring to it... maybe we can sell the plans afterward and make some money lol... seriously, i really need you guys and thank you so much for stepping up trying to help me... you have no idea... dad died on my bday, past september, have not delt with it yet... but mom probly coming here too lol.... gonna be fun lol.... gonna need all the help you all can give me, lol.... this idea is pretty close to what I was thinking... will get some better measurements on how wide it is etc... and long accross, for area to cover etc.... give us more to go on for what we will need etc...

i thank you for helping me, all of you... thanks.... i need all i can get.... trying to make the country thing work...

don