Any Advice Is Welcome.

/ Any Advice Is Welcome. #1  

xtruckerbob

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 25D, Kubota Bx 2670, Kubota RTV, 900, Kubota L-2600, Kubota G-3200, Kubota Z121S, John Deere L-160
I am gathering up stuff from mine and others junk piles to build a 4x8x2 dump trailer. What I would like help on is the axle or axles. I don't really need springs but ideally I would like a "Camel Back" but single axle would be fine. I think this trailer would have a loaded weight of 5000 pounds. The trailer would only be used on our farm and never put on the road. I have collected 4 lawn mower tires with keyed rims and 2 with a bolt pattern. I also have 2 - 13 inch bolt trailer tires and rims. Any advice is welcome.

/ Any Advice Is Welcome. #2  
If I am interpreting things correctly your wanting to use the lawn tractor tires for the trailer, I do not think lawn mower tires will do what you want, if you were talking 500 pounds, yes, possibly a 1000 pounds, 5000 pounds No,

here is a small trailer, with basically lawn mower rear tires, 1500-Lb. Capacity
Polar Trailer Heavy-Duty Tandem Axle Trailer — 1500-Lb. Capacity, 22 Cu. Ft., Model# 8262 | Lawn Garden Utility Trailers| Northern Tool + Equipment

for 5000 pounds I would suggest two 3500 pound axels, or at least use some good spindles and then some smaller car tires, and rims,

for some reason the site is not working for me right now,
Portable Generators, Pressure Washers, Power Tools, Welders | Northern Tool + Equipment look up axels

Trailer Axles | Trailers + Towing | Northern Tool + Equipment

hubs for making your own axels,
Trailer Hubs | Trailer Bearings + Trailer Hub Sets | Trailers + Towing | Northern Tool + Equipment

if springs are not in the plan then consider a walking tandem axels,
(picture of tandem axel)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
one more thing
If your going to make it, make It Road worthy. (I am not saying lights and all but the hubs and axels and frame,

that way if you want to or need to one can add lights later, (use an axel with brake plates, (not nessarlly the brakes, but the backing plate and the hubs with the drums, one could add brakes later if wanted,

Attachments

• tandem-assy.jpg
    tandem-assy.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
   / Any Advice Is Welcome.
BHD The mower tire will be a weak point, but tires and wheel are not going to be a problem. I just picked up 4 5 hole chevy truck rims with so so tires. The trailer will be to move the dirt from the pond we are digging which is 3/4 acre by 6 to 7 feet deep and at this point the trailer will never leave the farm.. (We are 1/3 of the way) We moved the top soil so now we are down to clay. I estimated the weight on a pure off the top of my head. Our BX will pick up 800+ pounds and I figured put at least 6 to 8 loads on at a time....... more if I can. I really like the Camel Back or walking Beam they are a lot easier to pull though ground.

/ Any Advice Is Welcome. #4  
How about an update with pictures?

/ Any Advice Is Welcome.
Xfaxman process has haulted, I have fallen down the stair here at the house and had to have surgery on my knee. Next they are going to do my neck. When I fell I messed up my knee my lower back and my neck. One of my disc is rubbing my spine. Thanks to the VA I am improving every day. Monday was the first day I got out and it was great.

/ Any Advice Is Welcome. #6  
That really sucks! Sorry to hear of your pain and suffering! Terrible how life can take such sudden turns.

/ Any Advice Is Welcome. #8  
Very sorry to hear this man! Prayers for a speedy recovery!!

Regards,

Chris

/ Any Advice Is Welcome. #9  
Ouch, I cringed with pain just reading about it.

Hope you heal soon. :thumbsup:

/ Any Advice Is Welcome. #10  
I hope for a speedy and full recovery. While you heal up, look into a 2 yard pan. Ashland still makes one and there is usually one on EBay. Moves dirt fast.