cable trencher for underground fence

/ cable trencher for underground fence #1  

sniper695

Tractor
new holland tc45da
I just ordered an underground fence for my dogs, I want to make a cable trencher for my CUT I was thing about making it an attachment for my rear blade. I have a piece of nice steel, about 4 by 16, at least 1/4 thick, my plan is to cut it so it has a hooked blade in front to help pull it underground, then a few pieces of angle iron to attach it to the rear blade, with a piece of tubing to run the wire through, are there any obvious flaws with this approach.

I want to attach to rear blade for simplicity, I don't need to setup the whole 3pt system and so I can use it as a weight to make sure blade stays in the ground. I have about 1000ft to run about 1.5 acres.

/ cable trencher for underground fence #2  
There are other guys on tbn that have built exactly what you described. Do a search and you will find them. I was going to do make one too so I could put in an underground fence. My plan was to get a trailer mover, I wanted to get one anyway, and make the trencher/cable feeder to attach into the receiver. That project is now on hold because my wife is convinced that coyotes or hawks will instantly get our little morkie if she is in the yard and not on a tie out. She thinks that they wont be able to take the dog if she is tied up. Did I ever say she worries too much :mur:

/ cable trencher for underground fence
I have to dogs, the bigger mutt keeps the animals away so I don;t worry about my chihuahua pomerian. thanks for the positive feedback, it seems like a good idea in my head.

/ cable trencher for underground fence #4  
I recently fabricated a spool mount and wire guide (from EMT) for my subsoiler. It works great. I ran about 1,300 feet of heavy gauge (14 I think -- whatever was the biggest "underground dog fence wire"). Took about 15 minutes to run.

I spend a lot of time fabricating, drilling holes in the house, running PVC under gravel, running PVC into house, etc. The actual burying of wire using my subsoiler (again, 1,300 feet) was the easiest and fastest part of the job!

/ cable trencher for underground fence #5  
I have a contact that installs these systems for a living. I call him for my project and couldn't believe the price. 14g solid copper wire trenched and installed was less than I could buy the wire for. He used a machine that looked like a Troy built roto tiller, but it was fully hydrostatic. It turned a wheel that looked like a cheap stump grinder. The wheel cut a trench super neat and the machine placed the wire too. He put down 1200 of wire in 1.5 hours.

/ cable trencher for underground fence #6  
I went much simpler several years ago: Had a steel rock pry bar (straight from end to end). Drilled a hole to attach a chain for pulling. Bent a length of copper pipe and clamped it on the back side with hose clamps. Had my wife pull the thing with our lawn tractor. I steered the pry bar by hand and fed the wire as we moved along. It only needs to be a couple of inches deep. Don't over think it!

/ cable trencher for underground fence #7  
I made a drip line plow that would work for your job, I modified ripper teeth with 1/8" sheet metal.

3.jpg

5.jpg

Has a larger exit radius than my gopher poison plow.

2.jpg

/ cable trencher for underground fence
thanks it is good to know that it will work ok, just need to finish up a few projects so I can start on this one

/ cable trencher for underground fence #10  
Here are some pics of mine. You can see where I added a spool mount on top of the subsoiler and added an EMT tube to guide the wire. The EMT is held in place by a few EMT straps... and is loose enough so the EMT and rotate, allowing the tail to follow the trench as you turn.

View attachment 429954
View attachment 429955
Subsoiler3.jpg