PTO Reversing?

/ PTO Reversing? #1  

keeney

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST
I have the John Deere 51-inch front-mount rotary sweeper that I would occasionally like to run in reverse so as to "pull" when sweeping instead of pushing everything in front of the tractor.

Yes, this sounds like a great way to get the operator really dirty, but I think it might be really handy for sweeping enclosed spaces like the garage. Drive in forward, engage the sweeper and back out, pulling all the winter dirt and salt out onto the driveway.

The sweeper is mechanically driven by a long drive shaft that goes to the mid-PTO on my JD 4100. The specs say that the Mid PTO spins at 2100 RPM.

There is a nice place to mount a reversing gearbox at the front quick-hitch mounting area where the mid drive shaft is supported by a pair of bearings. A short driveshaft with U-joints at each end goes from this front quick hitch area to the sweeper on the end of the tilt and angle mount. I think this front driveshaft has 21-spline couplings on it.

One idea I had was to flip the gearbox upside-down in the sweeper, but that is too permanent of a change - I would like this to be easier to configure for forward or reverse operation.

- Rick

/ PTO Reversing? #2  
Try thinking about a small standard shift tranny from a car or truck, or I am sure that someone makes a similar gear box with just forward & reverse.

/ PTO Reversing?
I could remove the top sheet metal cover, and mess around with the mounting to the front hitch, but it would probably be easier to just flip the gearbox over.

- Rick

/ PTO Reversing? #5  
Try an old house boat or mid 70's ski boat transmission they are able to engage on the fly and have a 1 to 1 forwards and reverse setting.

/ PTO Reversing? #6  
<font color="blue"> ...I think it might be really handy for sweeping enclosed spaces like the garage. Drive in forward, engage the sweeper and back out, pulling all the winter dirt and salt out onto the driveway. </font>

I could not help but think that keeney must have a really big garage! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Myself, if I had a garage, I would probably just use a push broom... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ PTO Reversing? #7  
I'm thinking if he stood it on end, he could get in the corners better /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ PTO Reversing?
Here in MN in the winter, all the sand and salt that sticks to the cars melts off as a sludge and drys on the garage floor. A push broom hardly budges it. A shovel is more like what you need to move it by hand.

Besides, why would I want to use a push broom when I own a 18 HP, ride-on, diesel-powered, hydraulically controlled, 51"-wide, power broom?

Current garage space is about 1800 sq feet. The planned additional two stalls will bring it up close to 2400 square feet. Only about 1200 square feet of that (4 stalls) would be off of the main driveway and be used for vehicles. The basement "garage" space is more like workshop and storage. Occasionally this basement space will also be visited by tractors, fishing boat trailers, and perhaps someday some ATV's and/or snowmobiles.

Attached are the floor plans of the new house that even though we have moved in, we are still trying to finish up.

- Rick

Attachments

• 381221-keeney_house.pdf
    63.9 KB · Views: 370