Steel price is HIGH

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Steel price is HIGH #1  

leaddog

Silver Member
Tractor
Century 3045
Stopped by my local steel supply to get a sheet of steel, 1/2x4ftx8ft. $326. Even the clerk was shocked. He said steel is going sky high. Guess I'm going to have to watch out for more scrap to make my projects.
Just ordered a new plasma cutter so I'm getting excited to cut some iron. Bought a cutmaster81 on ebay. $1847. It is the latest model 7/8 clean, 1 quality, 1 1/4 sever. Getting ready to build that grapple
leaddog

/ Steel price is HIGH #2  
Save some money for a digital camera and don't forget about us.

/ Steel price is HIGH #3  
That is high.......bought some this morning for 285.37 for 1/2 4x8 sheet.
But that is all I here. Prices are going up. I just noticed reg. gas just went up today.....1.799. It sure is hard when you drive a gas hog F250 with the 460! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Steel price is HIGH #4  
Over here in Holland too, but the scrap prices is rising parallel !! Time to clean up some rubbish around the farm, a 600 kg single axle cartrailer load is around 50 Euro..

I try to save as much iron as i can, it is allways expensive. But i also try to save grinding disks, those are expensive too, and i dont want to take a lot of work cutting a length of beam from an old frame, when the grinding disks you used are as expensive as a new piece of tube...

/ Steel price is HIGH #5  
I went down the other day to get some 2 inch angle and it had gone up 30% and they told me it was going to take onother hike. Told me that the chinese are buying all the scrap they can get they're hands on. I heard 300 a ton in the containers on the dock

/ Steel price is HIGH #6  
Got a phone call from our sheet metal supplier. Prices effective immediately are up 10%. We got no warning or a chance to order one more time or anything.

murph

/ Steel price is HIGH #7  
I gues we can thank NAFTA and the slave labor of the far east for our resources being sent out of the country to the cheap labor mills. We are going to be 3rd world before we know what hit us. I'm starting to feel like this country is on a race track to hardship and we don't have a clue. Reminds me of the Jews on the cattle cars going to the gas chamber and being led like sheep, I don't feel that much different from what our government is doing.
Sorry to get a bit long winded, I fought for this country, as many of you went into harms way, I just don't like the apathy.

/ Steel price is HIGH #8  
I heard that China was purchasing a lot of our steel and that's making the price jump. I was also surprised by the sign at Menard's the other day explaining the high cost of OSB. The new building construction boom as well as the Iraqi rebuild are the two reasons they gave.

/ Steel price is HIGH #9  
Has anybody heard if the jump in price for OSB and steel is a short-term hike or if it is expected to stay that way?

/ Steel price is HIGH #10  
Don't know about OSB, but I believe this is only the beginning for steel and other materials.

Discussed this last night with a friend who owns a manufacturing business and he said the Chinese were bidding up the price of all materials. As they become more industrial and their economy grows, they will require larger amounts of oil, raw materials and manufactured goods, thus driving up prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.