motorhome convert to pickup

/ motorhome convert to pickup #1  

stevecobb76

Bronze Member
Tractor
Gravley zero turn
I got this 1990 chevy 30 class c motorhome w/ van front clip. it has been through **** and the roof has been pounded with limbs falling out of trees. Lots of water damage well beyond repairable.
but it is a 1990 6.0L 366 tbi big block V8 1 ton dually chassis with less that 30k miles! So...

(can you smell the smoke yet??)

it would be far more useful as a pickup rather than a lawn ornament.
CAMPER.jpg

If I cut off the motorhome body and haul it to the dump. I could put a pickup body on it.
I don't know about the wheel base yet and how the measurements would line up putting a dually bed on it too here is the vin if anyone could help me out on the wheel base / frame measurements and my options, that would be great!!!
2gbjg31k6L4154290

/ motorhome convert to pickup #3  
You might need to shorten the frame a little, but seems like a good project.

/ motorhome convert to pickup
This is a 1 ton frame correct????
You might need to shorten the frame a little, but seems like a good project.
is there anything else that I need to worry about other than shortening the frame?
I could leave frame like it is and just put a flat bed on it too! from what I read, the body mounts are all the same on the frames.

/ motorhome convert to pickup #5  
Start hacking away. What could go wrong?

Maybe you'll get lucky and be able to throw some oak planks on the existing sub floor for a flat bed.

/ motorhome convert to pickup #6  
Making the cab water tight might be the hardest part.

/ motorhome convert to pickup #7  
I see flat bed, stake truck potential.
The skin of the old RV will probably be aluminum, which has good scrap metal value.

/ motorhome convert to pickup #8  
My uncle has a Chevy 3500 truck with a dump bed. We have been using it to haul wood. It is at the house if you want any measurements off it.

/ motorhome convert to pickup #9  
fun project no matter which way you go !....

I say mock up / mount the box .... flare the rear fenders to clear the dualies ... then figure out where the rear of the cab will be ....

a piece of 1/4" plywood to fill in the missing back , some fiberglass cloth and resin , body filler and paint ...

if you have a cab to box void , stuff in a work box to store tools and lock up other items ...

/ motorhome convert to pickup #10  
I have seen several types of those van body conversions around here mostly flat bed's with fiberglass coated sealing off of the cab. You never know until you try it out. Keep us posted on your progress.