Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Homemade

Default radial arm saw plasma cutter

hey, i'm half way though this plasma table project and would be interested to know what everyone thinks about it and if you guys have any ideas or input. thanks
    https://youtu.be/vxoFFD6_5xc

Tractor
    Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule

Default Re: radial arm saw plasma cutter

My first thought was, how awesome. Then I started to think about the advantages and could not think of too many. It's not hard to grab a straight edge and run your torch along it. It would be just another large piece of seldom used equipment in my shop. I really don't use my plasma much. A CNC table would be sweet, buty probably not used much either. Probably more for friends.

Tractor
    Kubota BX-25D, Z122RKW-42, and JD circa 1990 Lawn Tractor

Interesting... I do have an old Craftsman 10in radial arm saw and drawer stand sitting around taking space. Definitely a poor man's unit but for bunches of consistent straight cuts I suppose it could useful. Worse case it is a little used accessory to a cutting table. I will follow along. Good luck!

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Homemade

Yeah i think like you say either way ill have a little cutting table

Tractor
    More than 40 over the years. Ten at any one time. Mostly Ford and New Holland

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Toys View Post
    My first thought was, how awesome. Then I started to think about the advantages and could not think of too many. It's not hard to grab a straight edge and run your torch along it. It would be just another large piece of seldom used equipment in my shop. I really don't use my plasma much. A CNC table would be sweet, buty probably not used much either. Probably more for friends.
    This is my thinking exactly. BuckitCase Steve mentioned this earlier and I had it on my to do list.

The more I thought about it, the less enamored I was with the idea. (Sorry, Shiny Steve) Did a major shop clean up last week and well...this is where it now resides

-image-2701097552-jpg

-image-695265188-jpg Terry

Tractor
    allis chalmers wd45 farm king 990 and a duzen others

Quote Originally Posted by Rednic79 View Post
    hey, i'm half way though this plasma table project and would be interested to know what everyone thinks about it and if you guys have any ideas or input. thanks
    Video Link: https://youtu.be/vxoFFD6_5xc
    I love it. Seems really smart for a small guy. We don't have a plasma. Traded ours off years ago for truck work.

It could be made to take any tool from a plasma to a grinder welder. The sky is the limit
    Men in denim built this country, men in suits destroyed it

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Homemade

Quote Originally Posted by farm boy00 View Post
    I love it. Seems really smart for a small guy. We don't have a plasma. Traded ours off years ago for truck work.

It could be made to take any tool from a plasma to a grinder welder. The sky is the limit
    yeah i thought it was kinda like a extra hand, i see myself using to do repeatable angle cuts. i do custom furniture work and often need that kinda thing

Elite Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

would replace the threaded rod and the battery operated drill. with a smooth rod. and then find some sort of handle to lock things down in place. perhaps 2 plates of metal. turned into a kinda of a vise or something to lock unit in position. and then when you want to make 90 degree cuts undo it. so you are completely in control of how fast you are cutting by hand.

that threaded rod / battery operated drill = good for ripping stuff down kinda like a table saw when you rip plywood and boards down. and allows you to lock things in place. but you are more needing just the "lock" and then a free form slide without a motor to move things back and forth.

might suggest pulling the grating out. and put some rollers down. for longer pieces of metal. and then when cutting shorter pieces of metal toss the grate back on top, and use a couple thumb screws /bolts to hold grating in place.
    Ryan

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Quote Originally Posted by Rednic79 View Post
    https://youtu.be/vxoFFD6_5xc
    Since radial arm saws have been replaced by power compound angle miter boxes, they are pretty much giving them away, so good use for a set of legs and a table. As you mentioned having to do lots of repetitive straight cuts, seems like a good use. Set up a jig to make the same cut over and over again.

How do you plan to make it trigger without you having to use your hand? A foot pedal might be nice. That would leave both hands free and not too awkward as it is now.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    Kubota BX-25D, Z122RKW-42, and JD circa 1990 Lawn Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by MossRoad View Post
    Since radial arm saws have been replaced by power compound angle miter boxes, they are pretty much giving them away, so good use for a set of legs and a table. As you mentioned having to do lots of repetitive straight cuts, seems like a good use. Set up a jig to make the same cut over and over again.

How do you plan to make it trigger without you having to use your hand? A foot pedal might be nice. That would leave both hands free and not too awkward as it is now.
    Definitely a foot pedal is in Rednic's future.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast