Converting a gas powered hydraulic log splitter to PTO powered

/ Converting a gas powered hydraulic log splitter to PTO powered #11  
I originally built my splitter as three point and made an extension handle to run the hydraulic valve,

then the fuel price jumped, and I got thinking this tractor is using 3 gallons an hour to run, and a small more maybe a gallon of fuel and second the tractor was not tied up with a splitter on the back of it,

I am reasonably sure I have paided for the Honda engine and the pump and tank and valve since doing the self contained system, and the convenience of being able to start it to re-split a few pieces or to split for 15 mins while waiting for dinner or similar,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
since the unit was built as a stand alone unit, I built my hydraulic pack) as a stand along unit as well, I lift it off and use with a wire roller, (the double pump and the auto return log splitter valve, works great, I put in to detent and roll up the wire, if it catches or over loads it kicks out, just as it would returning he cylinder, and If I need to use or lift a hydraulic cylinder on a machine I can do it with the hydraulic pack,

/ Converting a gas powered hydraulic log splitter to PTO powered #12  
While I tend to agree with the majority of the views posted, I did want to mention that most are doing firewood on a regular basis. Now if you take someone like me who doesn't have a fireplace and only cuts firewood when a downed tree is encountered either on their property or a friends...then having a standalone splitter would be a waste. Using one on limited basis tends to just add to the maintenance level with little advantage.
While my tractor puts out enough hydraulic supply to run a splitter, anything smaller might be a challenge as far as a workable speed. Powering your existing pump off of a standalone splitter directly by a 540, or even a 1000 rpm pto would also not be a good situation, so why not mount pulley on the pump, hooked to a larger pulley mounted on a jack-shaft between 2 pillow block bearings and power that jackshaft with the pto from the tractor? A simple but extremely reliable system that allows you to remove the pto shaft easily if you need to use it on other equipment if you really don't want to spend the money on a dedicated one. By over-driving pump with the larger pulley, the slow speed of the pto shaft is overcome and you don't need to worry about keeping a standalone motor maintained during months of non use.
Just a view from another angle...
David from jax

/ Converting a gas powered hydraulic log splitter to PTO powered #13  
During the 12 years I have had my JD4300 I have been given or swapped three splitters that were powered by a tractor hydraulic system. I still use all three, but seldom does one get mounted on the 3pth. I have added legs to one, chained another to a woodshed wall and the third is getting an axle put on it. The two portable units have had lifting rings added so I just pick them up with the forks and set them where I want the wood to fall. Hoses with a common size QD hooks them up to my Power Beyond. I also have a couple of 6'extension hoses....
We burn about 8 bush cords per year and sell a few face cords if we have it surplus. A lot is split by myself working alone so speed is not a factor...

/ Converting a gas powered hydraulic log splitter to PTO powered #14  
We burn about 8 bush cords per year and sell a few face cords if we have it surplus. ..

I just HAVE to ask ... What is a "bush cord"?

/ Converting a gas powered hydraulic log splitter to PTO powered #15  
I just HAVE to ask ... What is a "bush cord"?

I never heard that one either. But google reveals a bush cord is the same as a full cord

/ Converting a gas powered hydraulic log splitter to PTO powered #16  
I originally built my splitter as three point and made an extension handle to run the hydraulic valve,

then the fuel price jumped, and I got thinking this tractor is using 3 gallons an hour to run, and a small more maybe a gallon of fuel and second the tractor was not tied up with a splitter on the back of it,

THREE gallons an hour??? YIKES! My tractor runs my splitter on less than ONE gallon an hour!!

SR