Tree felling jack

/ Tree felling jack #1  

rockyridgefarm

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT347
388673-timbertool_photo_new.jpg

The Tree Felling Jack looks like a great idea. I could sure use one.

But at ~$400 it is a little overpriced, not that it isn't worth it.

Has anyone built something similar? I see a piece of square stock, a piece of round, a plate foot and plate tooth and a comealong...

Attachments

• 388673-timbertool_photo_new.jpg
    388673-timbertool_photo_new.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 2,082
   / Tree felling jack #2  
Looks like something a person could easily make by modifying a Hi Lift jack (which typically run about $50 last I checked).

I can see it being a help on some trees with a lean, but the majority of the time I can get a tree to fall where I want it by cutting a 'V' in the right place.

/ Tree felling jack
<font color="purple"> but the majority of the time I can get a tree to fall where I want it by cutting a 'V' in the right place. </font>

Yeah, but its the other times that I am thinking about....

/ Tree felling jack #4  
Seems to me that that thing could kill you. It looks only about 6'+- tall. Seems the weight of the tree would just push it right over that. Seems to work right it would have to be able to go high enough on the tree to keep most of the weight of the tree below where it is pushing....But I guess it's better than nothing.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Tree felling jack #5  
Somewhere I've seen something like a bottle jack and you cut a rectangle in the tree and fit it in then start pumping when you are ready.

/ Tree felling jack #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( you cut a rectangle in the tree and fit it in then start pumping when you are ready. )</font>

ok would this not be on the low side of the tree? What happens when you make that cut and you did not know the other 1/2 of the truck was bad on the inside?

/ Tree felling jack #7  
we make and sell them for about $80 from old ford bumper jacks. they work great, and you can push a tree with a fair amount of lean, if you have to. basically, it replaces a set of wedges, and alot of hard pushing

/ Tree felling jack #8  
Seems to me some chains and a come-along about 1/3 up the tree and tide to the base of a tree in the direction of fall is the bees knees. Then no worry about the jack sinking.

/ Tree felling jack #9  
I don't much care for jacks or comealongs pulling a tree back against the lean. There is too much chance of a barber chair, where the tree splits somewhere along the back cut. Much better to make a bore or plunge cut insert some wedges then a back cut to release the tree. Jacks have the nasty habit of jumping out of notches cut for them, I've never seen a pole type used so won't comment on them.

bore cut

/ Tree felling jack
<font color="red">we make and sell them for about $80 </font>

So where do i send my check?