I-Beam Box Blade

/ I-Beam Box Blade #1  

HenryIV

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 3600
I have an 8" I-beam segment slightly wider than the crown of my rear R1s . I want to weld it into a heavy duty box blade have any of you seen or done this? It will be used for leveling compacted soils for clearings, footings, ect. Pictures are helpful.

/ I-Beam Box Blade #2  
???

I dont understand.

Do you have a box blade and you want to make it heavier and stronger by adding the beam?
-or-
Do you want to use the I-beam and build it into a box blade?

/ I-Beam Box Blade #3  
I made one out of some scrap I beam, channel,and a large piece of angle.
IMG_0024.jpg

/ I-Beam Box Blade
Wow brother! That is one substantial piece of Iron. I will not be grading gravel but more like leveling a surface for a greenhouse, trails in the wood, ect. The sides are not so important to me as are the attachment points. My tractor has draft control so I have some down force in addition to the weight of the beam.

To all who use one: How critical is it to attach an expendable cutting edge, how would you do it and what angle would you use?

/ I-Beam Box Blade #5  
Years ago we made a grader using 3/8 X 3 flat we simply bolted onto 6 X 6 wood to make a drag scraper.
We'd drag that behind an old Jeep to maintain 3 miles of dirt road.
We did that for 10 years until the city took over our road.
That old grader still had another 10 years of life in it and that was standard mild steel flat stock.

/ I-Beam Box Blade #6  
IF you are just doing dirt, you arent gonna wear the metal away very fast, especially for light homeowner use. Somewhere around 20-25 degrees off vertical. Call it 70* or 110*, just depends on where you reference.

Draft control is not down pressure.

/ I-Beam Box Blade #8  
Whats the white piece on top, is that for weight.

Thats for when I used to to push snow in reverse. Essentially gave me a taller blade to push more snow.

/ I-Beam Box Blade #9  
Wow brother! That is one substantial piece of Iron. I will not be grading gravel but more like leveling a surface for a greenhouse, trails in the wood, ect. The sides are not so important to me as are the attachment points. My tractor has draft control so I have some down force in addition to the weight of the beam.

To all who use one: How critical is it to attach an expendable cutting edge, how would you do it and what angle would you use?

I just purchased some weld on ears off ebay for attachment points. There are lots of inexpensive options out there. I would not worry about a replaceable cutting edge. I doubt you will ever wear it out. I used a large piece of angle. I want to say 6x6x3/8. Laid it with the open side facing down and it seems to work good for grading and snow removal. Having an adjustable top link makes a box blade much more useful IMO.

Before I build this I just used a big piece of I beam and drug it around behind the mower.

/ I-Beam Box Blade #10  

I just purchased some weld on ears off ebay for attachment points. There are lots of inexpensive options out there. I would not worry about a replaceable cutting edge. I doubt you will ever wear it out. I used a large piece of angle. I want to say 6x6x3/8. Laid it with the open side facing down and it seems to work good for grading and snow removal in forward ad reverse. Having an adjustable top link makes a box blade much more useful IMO.

Before I build this I just used a big piece of I beam and drug it around behind the mower.