3ph root ripper build

/ 3ph root ripper build #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Got alot of welding to do tomorrow. All prices are cut and prepped. Not sure how effective it will be ripping roots outbut its intended to be a multi-purpose attachment to clean up debris from fencerow removal. Uprooting trees with the BH leaves alot of trash behind. Also will be used to bust up ground so the loader and blade can move dirt easier.

IMG_20151019_171427626.jpgIMG_20151019_171439566.jpgIMG_20151019_171503701_HDR.jpg

/ 3ph root ripper build #2  
Can't wait to see it done! I've been thinking about making a quick attached single shank ripper. Interested to see what you put together.:thumbsup:

/ 3ph root ripper build
I have a single shank knife edge ripper. Works real well tearing through roots. What you cannot pull through, lifting the hitch usually does the trick. But it cannot get real close to a tree, so I made one for the BH. And. The single shank, while nice for slicing through, don't really unearth or gather debris. That's why I decided to go this route.

The single shank was also nice for doing invisible dog fence through the woods at my last house.

/ 3ph root ripper build #4  
I have a single shank knife edge ripper. Works real well tearing through roots. What you cannot pull through, lifting the hitch usually does the trick. But it cannot get real close to a tree, so I made one for the BH. And. The single shank, while nice for slicing through, don't really unearth or gather debris. That's why I decided to go this route.

The single shank was also nice for doing invisible dog fence through the woods at my last house.

Do you have a picture? Trying to get ideas.

/ 3ph root ripper build #5  
I'm anxious to see this too. Looks Professional Grade to me LD1. :)

/ 3ph root ripper build
finished product

IMG_20151020_135433041.jpgIMG_20151020_135447620_HDR.jpgIMG_20151020_135455402.jpg

Tested it out a bit. It dont like heavy sod as it tends to ball up. But dirt it works as expected. Grabs roots nice too. More tractor would be nice, but it does just what I expected it to. Set it to cut about as deep as a disc, and it leaves results that look just like running a disc. Only without the noise and without the disc wanting to throw the back of the tractor around

/ 3ph root ripper build
How did you fab the rippers?

Rippers were just 1/2 x 4" bar, cut with the plasma on the appropriate angles. The notches were done in a mill. And the "tooth" is just a 6.5" long piece of 1/2 x 1-1/2 with a little grinder work.

And here is the picture of my single shank ripper:

Oct08_0001.jpgOct08_0002.jpgOct08_0003.jpg

Its 2x4x1/4 wall tubing. The knife edge is inserted in the tubing on an angle through slots cut in the mill. That knife is 1/2x2 bar that is sharpened. SO if I cannot pull through a root, raising the hitch slices it nicely.

/ 3ph root ripper build #9  
Very nice LD1. Thanks for sharing your build.

/ 3ph root ripper build #10  
I like it! Thanks.