8' disc

/ 8' disc #1  

Mallard1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320
I would like to have a new disc so I've been looking at different ones and the more I look I thought i could build one for not a whole lot of hassle. My disc is used almost exclusively for food plots in areas that have been cleared of stumps and are flat. The soil is river bottom sand and clay. Currently have a 5' angle iron disc and that is a good match for our new holland 1920 when the ground is soft but when hard 5 passes doesn't dig 3". Also have a 65hp 2wd tractor and would like a disc that it could pull or put behind the new holland when dry.

I like the look of this bush hog one. It is 96" with 20 blades 20" on 9" spacing. I ran some rough math and think I could build one under $1000. Here is a picture of the spread sheet of my math, I have no intention of buying the bearing hangers or u bolts so that drops that number $400 down to $560. Add steel and misc hardware and I'm figure to be around $900. Just looking for ideas as I don't need the disc again until August. All of these prices are from agri supply, are they any good? Thanks for the help!

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.jpg

/ 8' disc #2  
I'm sorry you didn't get a reply. I'm looking for a similar solution for a BX2660, maybe a 5 footer.

/ 8' disc #4  
I like the look of this bush hog one. It is 96" with 20 blades 20" on 9" spacing. looking for ideas as I don't need the disc again until August. All of these prices are from agri supply, are they any good? Thanks for the help!

The key metric for Disc Harrows is total implement weight bearing on each pan/disc. Your 18" pan, angle-iron frame Disc Harrow has around 30 pounds bearing on each pan. A 20" pan, 9" pan spacing BOX FRAME Disc Harrow has around 50 pounds bearing on each pan. Your 65-horsepower, 2-WD tractor will pull a 22" diameter pan Box Frame Disc Harrow OK.

I do not suggest building from scratch. The evolved engineering applied to Disc Harrows is subtle. I suggest shopping for a 20" or 22" pan, 9" spaced, USED Disc Harrow.

Last edited:
   / 8' disc #5  
   / 8' disc #9  
Thanks, but out of my budget for a dink food plot. I'm self-employed and the feds just cleaned me out again with my quarterly taxes. :mad: