Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!!

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #11  
I'm hoping to install my small soapstone woodstove in the "apartment" that's in my woodshop next week or so. This is in Mississippi so I only expect light usage. It will be in a room with an attic above an a new metal roof so I've decided to run it outside and up.

When I went to the local hardware store the guy talked me out of using double wall outside (even though he would have made more $$) saying everyone used single wall outside.

No permits or inspection needed.

Since I got most of the pipe I need with the stove (triple wall and thimble) I'm expecting my extra cost to be < $200.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #12  
Hello,
I forgot to add this to my previous post......I found a local stove store that sold me the pipe I needed cheaper than I could find anywhere online. It was hard to believe but they beat the price on every type of piece I needed. From the chimney cap to the box that extends through the drywall ceiling, every piece was cheaper than I could find online. Also, on my previous install at my last residence (in another state) I bought the pipe I needed online. The one problem with that was that 2 of the pipes I ordered got dented in transit.....those UPS boys love to throw stuff around!!!! Then I had the hassle of getting 2 more pipes sent to replace those and run the risk of those getting dented !!!! So I was very glad when I found this local store that gave me the great prices. Just something to think about. Good luck !!!!

MFWD

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #13  
For a shop I too have an 8" iron pipe.

Going through the wall is a 2' section of DW stainless, and bought a flange kit that also made of metal and gives the 2" spacing. Allthough if I had to do again, I wouldnt have bought it, I would have just framed it and lined it with metal, but still used the DW pipe. In that 2" void I did stuff full of insulation as well.

Everything I looked at indicated the triple wall wasnt any better. Same 2" rating as DW. The triple wall is non insulated. Just air gaps. DW has insulation.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #14  
Last time I did a class a chimney Lowes had the best prices. Time before that Ace hardware had the better price.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #15  
This site has lots of good info about burning wood. When I put my chimney pipe in, they had very good prices too. Chimney Pipe Tutorial - Hart's Hearth & Homestead

The biggest advantage to an insulated pipe is the inside gets hot quick and stays hot while the insulation keeps the cold away. With a hot inside pipe, you get better air draw and less build-up inside. Running a single thin wall or a heavy pipe, with right angles, mostly outside, is a sure way to have the "cold pipe syndrome". A cold pipe will condense water, not draw good, and have much more creosote buildup. Basically, keep your pipe hot, mostly inside the structure, and straight. I have helped people install woodstoves and I tell them this same info. If they chose to do the single wall, through the wall with a 90 degree joint outside pipe, either they later switch or quit burning. After ten years of having a Dura Tech double wall chimney, I have never had to clean it. I do have to clean the chimney cap screen because that is where it is COLD and sticks but the pipe is always clean inside.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #17  
Never had any issues with an iron pipe 20'+ mostly outside chimney. Draws just fine. Creosote....not a concern. Smack it with a hammer and clean it out the bottom via a clean out door.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #18  
Found everything I needed here, 304L Alloy 6" Ventis Class-A Chimney System - Hart's Hearth & Homestead
All is SS inside and out, double wall, and insulated. Very nice stuff, but you will pay for it, it cost me $2000 for what I needed. I ran it up the outside of my cabin from basement up past peak of a 12/12 pitch roof. Very good insulation...I can hold my hand on the exterior of the first vertical joint of pipe while burning a hot fire, I know it keeps the flue gases hot all the way to the top.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #19  
Do you really need the high buck pipe all the way? I ran dual wall ( Air Gap ) from Hardware Sales from the stove up to the truss. Put in a box bought from a fireplace store that nails in 24 on center with a slip pipe that made hookup easy. Then a couple 4' 3wall to go through the roof and up a few feet then a collar and back to the cheaper pipe up to the peak. Insurance approved it and it was fairly inexpensive compared to what I see here.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #20  
I absolutely agree with the "don't skimp on pipe" thoughts.

When I built my house 20 years ago, my soon to be neighbor, a respected HVAC guy, recommended double wall for my 25 foot A-frame interior run and triple wall for the breach section through the roof. Seventeen years later I had a rip-roaring chimney fire. With flames shooting out the top by several feet it was very persistent and burned for at least 45 minutes before the myself and the volunteers got it out. The hottest part of the fire was at an elbow right below the chimney box that breached the roof.

Afterwards I never regretted the extra cost. I decided that because water was eventually used to extinguish, and the severity of it all, that I would replace the whole thing taking care of some of the root causes of the fire. My brother and I dismantled the old chimney pipe finding no damage other than a very slight buckling of the inner wall of the triple pipe. The chimney box was pulled out and there were no signs of discolored wood or any flame impingement anywhere inside the box. Once again no regrets.

The local woodstove specialty shops were completely disinterested in doing anything but selling me a new stove. They best they could was try to hook me up with their chimney guys who never called or emailed me back after many attempts.

Lastly, the double wall I used was air spaced, the triple wall was insulated. The original system was purchased through Home Depot. That was then, this is now. Nobody at Depot seemed remotely capable of helping me with the new system. I eventually bought everything online after failing to get anywhere with the local chimney guys.

Dan