Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!!

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #1  

gregfender

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST
I'm in the process of installing a a wood stove in my shop and when I went to price out the 6" chimney pipe I needed, I just about fainted. For a 15' run (I've got a 14/12 roof so I gotta go all the way to the top to get clearance), it's going to be over $500 in pipe alone.

Does anyone know a good place to source chimney pipe besides the big box stores?

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #3  
That doesn't sound too far off. It's crazy expensive stuff! It's usually the most expensive part of adding a wood stove.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #4  
Is double wall still in code? Around here triple wall is customary.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #5  
As much as I hate to bypass the 'local guy', the online stove pipe guy's usually have a better inventory, choice, and price. I find it hard to get the heavier guage locally, and the thin pipe is just junk. The last pipe I bought (online) was a heavy guage SS and very impressive. It should literally last forever. They usually have a virtual catalog of parts & acessories that will help you safely intall your pipe, esp. where it go's through the roof. That steep pitch roof might be a real "specialty item" and hard to find.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #6  
Have you checked your local Craigslist. Saw about that you need go for $35

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #7  
Not sure if you are installing double wall or triple, or just black single wall stovepipe - but this company has single wall 4 ft section for under $35, but the double wall is $112. They have others, and stainless, too.

Single Wall Stove Pipe at VentingPipe.com

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #8  
It's not shiny stainless steel, but this is my shop chimney. 8" used oil well casing. Bought it at an oil well supply house for $8.00 per foot. Got 26' of it, and the guy said give me $200, and we'll call it even.

Took a few days to weld it up, brush it off with a cup brush, and paint, but have less than $250.00 in it
, including concrete base, and clay through the wall thimble.

Need to put another one up beside it one of these days, when I get around to putting the waste oil furnace in.

Shop chimney.jpg

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #9  
Is double wall still in code? Around here triple wall is customary.

Double wall or single wall black pipe(pipe for inside the house) is not very expensive. Double wall black pipe just lets you get closer to combustables. Example i think its 9 inches versus 18 inches.

Outside class A pipe double wall and triple wall. Not the same thing. Everyone i know recommends double wall not triple.

My class A double wall outside has a 2 inch rating to combustibles.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    670.1 KB · Views: 344
   / Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #10  
Hello,
Hey, don't feel bad.....I just got my woodstove installed in my workshop (by me) and spent a little over a $1000.00
dollars for the stove pipe. Inside the shop it is black, double wall with an air space with a 6" stainless steel liner.....the part that is in the attic is galvanized on the outside and has insulation in it (can be as close as 2" to burnable materials) and then the part that sticks out through the roof is stainless steel on the outside and insulated.
Since my shop is on the second floor and not around any vehicles (with gas in them) my insurance man says the building is covered. Even though the pipe cost me an arm and a leg, I feel that it is a very safe installation. Don't skimp on the pipe...you don't want anything burning down !!!!!! Good luck with the job !!!!!

MFWD