Moving a 5th wheel RV with a BX

/ Moving a 5th wheel RV with a BX #11  
Nice little project. I Think I will build one for mine.

It looks like pretty flat country where you are moving it around , and I am sure you can maneuver it a lot easier than with a truck......

I didn't see anywhere where you said you where running down the road at 35 MPH . I assume you are using it to jocky it moving it around in a flat yard

So it looks like you will be fine.

Nice job.

2810 HST

/ Moving a 5th wheel RV with a BX #12  
A number of our members are concerned about the safety of that rig, and with some reason, so I think I'll add a few comments. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

1. My first thought was that it must be a pretty small and light weight 5th wheel trailer or that tractor couldn't lift the front end of it,

2. For those unfamiliar with 5th wheel travel trailers, they have two jack legs that can be raised and lowered either electrically or by a manual crank.

Now I'm bettin' JimC has had a little experience with his 5th wheel and knows that he can move it around simply by lifting the front end just enough to get the jack legs off the ground. Just as an example, let's say 2" (or even less). That will let him move it around while at the same time, if something happens (sudden weight shift, a wheel hits a rock causing the trailer to stop, the front of the tractor becomes too light, the trailer starts to roll downhill pushing or pulling the tractor, or whatever), if the front of the trailer drops that two inches, the jack legs will stop it at that point so the tractor ain't gonna go on over backwards, and they'll even tend to dig in and provide braking. And of course, it won't take long to drop the 3-point on the tractor, too.

So, . . . I'm a bit surprised myself that a tractor that small can handle the weight of a 5th wheel trailer, but for a fellow with just a little experience (which I'm confident JimC has), I see no safety problem.

/ Moving a 5th wheel RV with a BX #13  
I have my Samurai set up as a halfcab with Kayline Bikini top, Halfcab curtain and a custom cover over the box. In the summer time when I visit my Dad who lives in the city on a busy street, I like to take the Samurai and back it in the drive for easier exits. Then I got the idea to park it so it looked like the Sam was 5th wheeled to his camper. Sure gets alot of looks.