Moving a 5th wheel RV with a BX

/ Moving a 5th wheel RV with a BX #1  

JimC

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
Sometimes I need to move my 5th wheel trailor and thought it would be handy to use the BX2200, so looking around the supply pile I found a few pieces including a busted receiver and now I can move the rv around the place real easy.

/ Moving a 5th wheel RV with a BX #2  
How much weight on the fifth wheel pin?

do you have to fill the FEL for balast?

/ Moving a 5th wheel RV with a BX #3  
Great idea, I'd love to do the same with ours. I've always been concerned about the weight though. Our fiver puts about 1500 pounds on the pin. Seems that could flip my tractor right over. Does yours seem stable? I've seen similar setups at RV dealers and manufacturers but usually with a larger tractor (utility size) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Moving a 5th wheel RV with a BX #4  
I would be concerned about the overall weight of the trailer in addition to the tongue weight.

If the trailer weighs 10,000 lbs and the tractor weighs what, maybe 2500 lbs with the loader, and you are on a slope, which direction are you going to go?

1. The direction the tractor is spinning its tires?

2. The direction you want to go?

3. The safe direction?

4. None of the above.

I would be very careful to stick to level ground.

My _interesting_ experience with a 5000 lb trailer and a 1800 lb tractor tells me that next time I will just use the truck instead.

- Rick

/ Moving a 5th wheel RV with a BX #5  
I would be real gentle on the acceleration. With the load that high above the rear axle, combined with a sizeable tongue wieght, there's a possibility of setting your BX up on its tail.

I've never done it with my Kubota, but I can tell you it was real exciting when I did it with my 20 hp lawn tractor.

Just remember the old Chinese curse; "May you live in interesting times."

/ Moving a 5th wheel RV with a BX #6  
I think that this post is in the wrong forum.... I believe that it belongs in the Safety Forum and should be labeled as "A BX Accident Waiting To Happen".... I hope that you never get hurt, but I believe that you are headed for danger faster than a speeding bullet on this one. The odds are stacked against you and you just don't have a chance. This is one of those times that just because you can do it, doesn't mean that you should even try it. You are flirting with disaster in my opinion. Stick and stones may break your bones, but that trailer will kill you. Be safe, use the truck. The right tool for the job, the only tool for this job.

/ Moving a 5th wheel RV with a BX #7  
I can't see how big the fifth wheel trailer is in the pic. They have some really tiny ones around.
Ken

/ Moving a 5th wheel RV with a BX #8  
I don't think I would try what you are doing. If you need to move the 5th wheel, use your truck.

/ Moving a 5th wheel RV with a BX #9  
I have done a lot of towing with various vehicles and trailers and use my JD 4210 to move our 6000 lb travel trailer around our property. But I don't think you are being safe to move a 5th wheel around with a CUT unless the trailer weighs under 5000 lbs. On level ground at 2 mph it might be okay but I suggest you add a dolly wheel under the setup to take some of the weight off your tractor.

/ Moving a 5th wheel RV with a BX #10  
Neat. It looks like the adaptor you built is only a few inches off the ground. Hardly enough to cause it to flip over backwards. Any trouble and you could lower the 3PH to bring things to a rapid halt. Shouldn't be much of a problem if you keep off the Jeep trails with it..................chim