LOG SPLITER BUILD

/ LOG SPLITER BUILD #1  

perkins78

Tractor
KUBOTA B3300SU/ Bad boy 36hp 72 cut/ vac case
Thought I would share what I have been building the past few months. I burn wood with outdoor wood boiler Central boiler 6048. This is my second winter with it and I am very pleased. I get a lot of my firewood in the form of big tree trunks I load the trunks with a backhoe and dump them out on my property most trunks are 24-48 inch ash and soft maple. I have a so called 22 ton dirty hands log splitter from Lowe's it's just not up to the abuse the I have been putting it through. I will keep it around to work on the small stuff. Any way I have a good start on a big log splitter everything you see in the pictures I have got for free or took out in trade for some kind of favor except the wheels and tires and the used hyd tank I beam is 14 ft long 8" wide 12" high 5/8 thick. Cylinder is off a crane truck 5.5 bore 2.5 ram had to gut the safety valve on it. The push plate, wedge and back is all 7/8 inch thick Project is on hold until I can afford to get hyd pump ,valve, hoses fluid and all that stuff adds up fast.

Log Splitter by perk78 | Photobucket

Last edited:
   / LOG SPLITER BUILD
I am going to order the parts from surplus center
28 GPM DYNAMIC 2-STAGE PUMP
Item Number: 9-7971
I'm undecided on the valve any input on that would be great

/ LOG SPLITER BUILD #3  
I would want one that retracts. all the way back and kicks out. Your 28 gallon pump will require something bigger then normal for this. My valve will only flow 24 gals. With your ram you need to be able to run a 4-way splitter. Slip on is the simple way..,

/ LOG SPLITER BUILD #4  
That thing is a brute! Prolly scare the logs apart:laughing:
:thumbsup:

/ LOG SPLITER BUILD #5  
Nice build. Will you be adding a log lift??

/ LOG SPLITER BUILD #6  
Did you see my logsplitter build thread? That thing looks pretty similar the way you used the donor motor, and partially inserted the wedge down in the beam....

I ordered some of my stuff from here Log Splitter Valves They do have some 30gpm valves, which will be better than teh standard 25gpm ones, but still a tad on the small side. Cause when retracting, and pumping 28GPM into the rod side, you will be trying to expel 35GPM out the cap end of the cylinder.

Couple of questions:

How long is the stroke on that cylinder?
How big is the reservoir?
What size ports on that cylinder?

Looking forward to see how you finish it off.

/ LOG SPLITER BUILD
May be in the future for now i will use a my little kubota loader to place the big rounds on the splitter

/ LOG SPLITER BUILD
28 inch stroke
20 gallon reservoir
ports on cylinder are 3/8 little worried about that

/ LOG SPLITER BUILD
Yes I did see your build I think that's where i came up with the idea of inserting the wedge into the I beam I don't think It would hold just welded to the top

/ LOG SPLITER BUILD
I ordered some of my stuff from here Log Splitter Valves They do have some 30gpm valves, which will be better than teh standard 25gpm ones, but still a tad on the small side. Cause when retracting, and pumping 28GPM into the rod side, you will be trying to expel 35GPM out the cap end of the cyl

I plan to make an order from surplus center they have a lot of valves to choose from they have a 25 gpm $59 the cheapest 30gpm it around $150 but regardless of the price i need it to work properly I also want it to be adjustable up to 3000 psi