My home made firewood processor

/ My home made firewood processor
Thanks for that Moss Road

/ My home made firewood processor #13  
That's a heck of an engine!
Depending on what kind of gearing you use you might be able to pretty much run that thing a bit off idle and be OK. That all depends on what your grand plan is though. You'd surely have enough HP headroom to run the processor and all of your conveyors off of the hydraulics. That would be nice.

FWIW I believe that our processor uses about 2-2.5 gallons of gas an hour.
Those little twin cylinder Briggs & Kohler engines are terrible on gas.

/ My home made firewood processor #14  
I've got a 25hp Kohler command pro in our Power Trac PT425. Its all hydraulic. I run it full throttle always. I use about 1 gallons of gas per hour, depending on load. Its got 4 gallons usable tank, and I get about 4 hours of time on it. So half a days work and time for lunch! :laughing:

/ My home made firewood processor #15  
I have a ZTR with a Kohler V-twin that burns about 1.5 gallons per hour. I have a generator with a smaller Kohler that burns over 1 gallon per hour. I have several Diesel engines ranging from 17-34 hp that burn less than .5 gallons per hour. The 17 hp diesel can give the 25 hp Kohler a run for its money. The 25 HP diesel on the F series Kubota flat out puts the 25 hp gasser to shame.

Ya Wild Bill that is my intent is to run everything off of that one pump, that includes driving it around the yard with a hydraulic motor running the drive gear on the frame. (Old combine )

/ My home made firewood processor #17  
Using one pump might be tricky. You'll have to employ a flow divider of some sort (or maybe a couple). We have 3 pumps on our processor. One for the saw, one for the splitter (a dual stage) and one for all of the misc. cylinders.

What all do you plan to run off of hydraulics?

Interesting idea to have the processor be self powered rather than on a trailer. If you have the frame and the drive train, why not.

/ My home made firewood processor #18  
that a good idea making it drivable on its own. with the economy with the way it is, its always good to have a backup source of income. could always use its to travel to process wood els ware. looks like a great build. keep us posted. i wish i had your talent and enthusiasm.

I plan on running 42" circular saw, splitter ram, hydraulic motor for live deck, hydraulic motor for propulsion, and a couple of stabilizer cylinders, hydraulic cylinder for saw arm and maybe a couple other things. If that one pump with four banks isn't enough I'll run another pump off the front of the crank shaft. But I'm thinking one pump should do it since there are only a couple functions that will be run at the same time. Does that sound reasonable to you guys watching or am I missing something
Lea

/ My home made firewood processor #20  
that a good idea making it drivable on its own. with the economy with the way it is, its always good to have a backup source of income. could always use its to travel to process wood els ware. looks like a great build. keep us posted. i wish i had your talent and enthusiasm.

Yea real good idea. Folks could get wood cheaper, un-split and hire the splitter. Depending on rates. For the record, the Ford 6.7L Powerstroke is rated .50 gal per hr at idle. The 6.6 Duramax at .44 gal per hr. I bet either of those engines running a PTO at idle would out perform a 25hp diesel. Just gear the PTO drive to a suitable RPM for the pump and away you go.