Chicken plucker biuld

/ Chicken plucker biuld #1  

rasorbackq

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 4720
On my 3rd chicken plucker build . The last 2 have been a Whiz bang plucker style . This one is larger with a 30 " spinning plucker plate for doing turkeys better.

So my question is plucker picking plate should spin at 172 RPM and with a 1725 RPM motor to a 10:1 gear reducer the math adds up. But this seems to spin very fast !!.
My question is with this set up will a plucker plate that is 10" 20" or 30 all spin at 172 RPM at the outside edge?? Or does some how as diameter increase so does the speed?
Never took all that stuff in school and my math skills are not up to par

Tried the net but didn't know what to type in as a search.
Someone here will have the answer .

/ Chicken plucker biuld #2  
The outside of the plate spins at the same speed as the inside.

A larger plate will have more torque, but also require more power from a motor to get it started, and over come the additional load you could potentially put on it compared to a smaller plate.

Last edited:
   / Chicken plucker biuld
I noticed after the plucking section that lots of feathers missed the bucket and were thrown 3-5' past the drop bucket.
. We have momentum and inertia on a larger disk so that explains a lot.

/ Chicken plucker biuld #4  
Although the RPM's are a constant, the SURFACE SPEED gets faster the farther you go out. Think of a merry go round and trying to run to stay in the same spot. Toward the inside near the axis, you can do it by a fast walk. Go to the outer edge and you will be in a full out run.

/ Chicken plucker biuld
Ok . Thats where I get confused . You say the surface speed increases . Do I want to slow the rpm down to control the surface speed to an acceptable speed?

/ Chicken plucker biuld #6  
Yes. Have you thought about making the speed adjustable? Several ways you can do it depending on your budget.

/ Chicken plucker biuld #7  
My wife wants to raise chickens to butcher. Told her the only way that's happening is if I build one of those Wiz Bang pluckers.

/ Chicken plucker biuld #8  
I had a dxf file to cut out the feather plate but can't seem to find it. If I do, I'll pass it on if you can source a laser or water jet to cut it out.

/ Chicken plucker biuld #9  
My wife wants to raise chickens to butcher. Told her the only way that's happening is if I build one of those Wiz Bang pluckers.

We only do 30-40 a year, and I think it was worth building one ! Hand plucking takes me 20-30min per bird (I clearly am not a pro....nor to I WANT to be...ahahahaa). The plucker does a bird in a minute or less, clean a can be with the exception of a few tail feathers sometimes.

I did a solid bottom in mine with a chute for the feathers/water to exit rather than fall down on the mechanical below.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

/ Chicken plucker biuld
My first looked like yours only was painted.

This was my second. 22.5 tub

IMG_0447.JPG

And this is my third 30" puck board tub Solid 1/8 steel bottom with ring attached. 3/16 aluminum picker plate Over 200 fingers.

IMG_1182.JPG

Popped the breaker several times yesterday as the feathers are getting caught in the shoot and slowing the plate when the feathers jam between the plate the tub wall.

The feather momentum is so fast that the from the wall of the house to the plucker was covered