open to suggestions-Building a Wall for kids at local school in Conn.

/ open to suggestions-Building a Wall for kids at local school in Conn. #1  

bruiserx2

Silver Member
Tractor
BX24 and JD X320
I was asked to build a free standing wall for the kids elementary school. I am not a contractor, just a Dad. The kids would like a wall they can bounce balls off, both throwing and kicking. I was thinking of building a wall 12 feet high and 16 feet wide.

I would set 4 6x6x16 pressure treated posts 3 to 4 feet deep (ideally 4 feet not sure I will be able to get that deep, lot of rocks here in CT) and 4 feet apart. Then sheath it with 6 sheets of 3/4 pressure treated plywood, going over that with 6 sheets of 1/2 inch pressure treated plywood.

The posts would be set in gravel not concrete (is that a bad idea) should I used concrete? We would stain the wood at the end.

What do you think? I am concerned about wind, do you think going 4 feet in the ground is deep enough.

Open to suggestions.

Material list
4 6x6X16 posts
6 4x8 ¾ plywood
6 4x8 ½ plywood
Gravel or Concrete
Screws
Auger
Paint

/ open to suggestions-Building a Wall for kids at local school in Conn. #2  
How are you going to set the post? Those things are heavy. I think you might need more post.

/ open to suggestions-Building a Wall for kids at local school in Conn.
I was going to used my BX24 to raise and set them in the hole.

We would rent an auger/post hole digger

/ open to suggestions-Building a Wall for kids at local school in Conn. #5  
I do not have a boom pole

/ open to suggestions-Building a Wall for kids at local school in Conn. #7  
Your BX only lifts 71 inches high to the bucket pivot pin. It will take some redneck engineering to make that work. Do you have any pallet forks?

To be honest I had not thought about that. I figured I would carry the pole over to the hole with the front bucket. Lay it on the ground then start lifting one end which would drop the other end in the hole.

You make a good point that I will need to put some thought into.

/ open to suggestions-Building a Wall for kids at local school in Conn. #9  
Just a though here, but standing the pole might be difficult. I would try raising the FEL so you could lay the 6x6 on the FEL bucket face parallel with the tractor. Strap it down. Then you can raise the FEL and tilt the bucket ahead to get the log straight up and down, set in the hole and unhook it.

I would put concrete around it because wind will really push that flt panel, then it will loosen up in time.

Unless there would be a problem mowing around the thing, I would consider putting a couple braces off the back from half way up to 4-6' feet away. This should lock it all down against almost any wind except a hurricane or tornado.

Chuck