DIY ripper attatchment

/ DIY ripper attatchment #1  

pontio pilato

Tractor
mf 385
hello.am trying to build a DIY ripper attatchment to break up virgin land.i intend to use it with a MF385 4WD tractor(milat).the lower links seem somewhat weak for the job,so i am thinking of attatching the ripper to the rear axles using an articulated joint.is this safe,from a point of view of it might damage the tractor?how far apart are the best attatchment points?also,how high from the ground is the PTO?all help will be appreciated and acknowledged.thank you.

/ DIY ripper attatchment #2  
Hi. Welcome. There are several people on here that have made their own rippers. I am sure you will get some good ideas.

/ DIY ripper attatchment #4  
Interesting. Going to have to follow this one.

/ DIY ripper attatchment #5  
If I can get the picture to attach... Here is the homemade 3pt, cat 1 size, 5' wide tool bar I built...
I have loaded it with as many as 21 chisel toot diggers, spaced it to cultivate row crops, one or two row hillers, up to 4 bottom disk plow, two to five pasture renovator type ripper shanks, or a 5' wide de-thatching type rake..

I have used it for a lot of things.. Tilling for wildlife food plots, leveling ground, maintaining gravel roads, cultivating row crops, garden work, and other tasks..

Good luck..
==
ead1e9ca-b41a-462a-9768-4c181997f02f_zpse48f4acd.jpg

/ DIY ripper attatchment
awesome,Wyobuckaroo!already getting ideas.if i may ask,is the 3pt mount sturdy enough to handle 3 chisel root diggers that go 2ft into the soil?

/ DIY ripper attatchment #7  
   / DIY ripper attatchment
More likely to damage the tractor driver when it overturns. Use the drawbar or 3 point. A heavy pull needs to be from as low on the tractor as possible.

About 2/3 down this page is a section on "Drawbar Leverage."

Tractor Overturn Hazards ? Agricultural Safety and Health ? Penn State Extension

Bruce

thank you Bruce.the hazard is real,but am thinking of a way whereby the ripper hinges at a point just beneath the axles,with a hydraulic cylinder acting as a strut mounted at the top hitch point.that will lender the entire assembly kind of rigid to resist back tipping.of cause the cylinder will serve to raise and lower the ripper.

/ DIY ripper attatchment #9  
hello.am trying to build a DIY ripper attatchment to break up virgin land.i intend to use it with a MF385 4WD tractor(milat).the lower links seem somewhat weak for the job---- all help will be appreciated and acknowledged.thank you.

Weak, based on what?

Are they worn down or damaged?

They are designed to handle all of the pulling power that the tractor can provide.

You can put a shear pin on your ripper if it hits a big rock or root.

/ DIY ripper attatchment #10  
Agreed. The 3PH should handle whatever the tractor can pull.

Pushing is where they are weaker. (as in you going backwards).

Rippers are pulled from a 3PH all the time.

Not sure how big and heavy your 385 is, or what your tires are like, But pulling 3 shanks in the ground 2' is going to take some serious weight and power.

Most farmers in my area only subsoil around 12" depth just to break up the hard pack. Certainly no where near 2'. If they did that, you'd have to run new tile everywhere