Need help idintifying motor mounts for an 8.3L Case built Cummins.

/ Need help idintifying motor mounts for an 8.3L Case built Cummins. #1  

4x4dually

Tractor
JD 4020
I'll try to keep this short and spare you all the lengthy details.

I'm new to TBN. I found it while looking for information on a Case built Cummins motor. I'm hoping someone here has the knowledge to help me out.

I bought an 8.3L Cummins out of a Case PX-240 Irrigation pump for a great price. I've replaced a sleeve, a piston, complete head work, etc. The motor runs great now and is destined for my GMC 7000 dump truck. The problem is, I can't seem to find a motor mount that fits the front of it. I'm wanting to use the 'horseshoe' type I call it (not sure what the industry name is). I've tried three different ones and even went through a truck salvage and can't find one that will fit it. I think the main issue is that the timing case on this motor is different than the on-road engine timing cases that Cummins puts on them. The ag motor from Case has proven to be a pain sometime as a bunch of the parts are different.

Anyway, the timing case on this motor is a P/N 87413806 "Transmission Housing"....which is misleading since it is on the front of the block and the transmission is on the back. Not sure what brilliant engineer came up with this. :rolleyes: At a bare minimum, I'd like to find the bolt pattern spec that give me dimension.....but I'll probably end up welding up a custom one from a cardboard template...not what I'd really like to do.

To add insult to injury, the ECN on this motor will not show up in Cummins Quick-Serve due to it being manufactured by Case.

I was hoping some of the tractors guys/gals here could help me out. Does anyone know more info about this problem?

Both of these mounts below are said to be from 8.3L cummings motors, but neither are correct. Fairly certain the top one is not from an 8.3L. It looks more like a V8 mount.

The top one is no where near correct.

IMG_6951_zpsfnjwonew.jpg

The bottom one gets close, but not enough clearance on the inside.

IMG_6949_zpsagyitgf1.jpg

And a few pics of my progress for good measure. :)

IMG_6869_zpscatdawlr.jpg

I think the modified P7100 will have some fuel. :laughing:

8.3L Cummins - YouTube

Needless to say, the frame needed extended 12" after removing the 8.2L Detroit hunk of crap.

IMG_6966_zpseda4as8u.jpg

/ Need help idintifying motor mounts for an 8.3L Case built Cummins.
My apologies if this thread is in the wrong sub-forum. If figured since I'm having to build most of it myself it was fitting. LOL

Mod feel free to move to an appropriate place if desired.

Anyone? TTT

/ Need help idintifying motor mounts for an 8.3L Case built Cummins. #4  
I can get you the bolt pattern for the side bolt holes where your channel is bolted to in the picture, if it will do any good. This is where the industrial engines are usually mounted from. I'll do some digging tomorrow and see if I can find anything off the front.

Thanks. That would be super. I'm thinking about trying to machine enough off the one I have that is close and try to make it work. I just worried that if I machine off too much, it will sacrifice strength. I'll have to double the check the four holes first. I'm not 100% certain they line up either. Whomever designed this timing case didn't leave much room for a support like this....naturally, it's an ag engine and was mounted on the side like you said. I would have swapped covers when I had the engine torn down if I had realized this was going to be such an issue. I really didn't want to pull the cam so I let it slide.

/ Need help idintifying motor mounts for an 8.3L Case built Cummins. #6  
Look up Seaboard Marine. They have a page of all the 8.3 engine mounts. Tried to set this up to link it direct to the page but for some reason it won't work. Good luck!

I found the engine installation drawings....but it appears the front holes in those drawings are different than mine. Go figure. If there is a bastardized version of anything....it ends up on my farm. LOL

I'll look some more after lunch. Thanks for that! I think the drawings will help in other places too.

/ Need help idintifying motor mounts for an 8.3L Case built Cummins. #8  
If you can get me the year and/or the serial number, I have some contacts that can help with this.

If you can get me the year and/or the serial number, I have some contacts that can help with this.

I sure would greatly appreciate that, Sir. Thank you!

ESN: *46837230*
Model: 6TAA-690

Any dimensions on those holes would at least make it easier for me to burn a plate to make a mount if I can find one that will work.

IMG_5058_zpslwxweg9r.jpg

IMG_5059_zpsjlbyr48i.jpg

/ Need help idintifying motor mounts for an 8.3L Case built Cummins. #10  
The engine should show up on any cummins tools as case cant sell parts for the engines. Case sends owners out to cummins for parts. It's a case/cummins politics thing.

I have 2 M931 6x6 military trucks with the 8.3L. You might try calling Boyce equipment in Utah and see what they have to say.