Power Pack To Power 3pt Implements

/ Power Pack To Power 3pt Implements
I would suggest, if going to make your power pack, basically make a power pack that has a hydraulic pump, and then power a hydraulic motor on the winch or what ever,

I made three point log splinter, and one time ran it off the tractor hydraulics, then fuel shot up in price, so I make a power pack (tank, engine, pump, and valve. and quick connects.) and use that power pack on the log spliter, on the fence roller, and have even used it to run the hydraulics on machinery when working on it with a tractor available. I have considered making a king sized hydraulic press, and using it on that and I have two winches that I plan on mounting hydraulic motors on here this spring,

I think one could think of a number of uses for a portable hydraulic power pack.

I would think that a hydraulic pump / motor setup could probably work, but I'm sure it would cost more, and weigh more (tank, motor, pump, engine, and frame) than just an engine geared down with chain/sprockets (no clutch as the winch has one). I would think less efficient as well.

/ Power Pack To Power 3pt Implements
If I were to use your above scenario of a brand new pu and a log trailer, I'd rather put the winch on the log trailer. That way I could put some rather aggressive outriggers on without issues with the pu. Basically pull the logs to the trailer, then pull the trailer forward to load them.

New if I had an old crummy pu, let the real logging begin. :)

I'm not sure where I'm going to put a winch with 150+ ft of cable on the log trailer. Ideally it would be on the trailer though.

/ Power Pack To Power 3pt Implements #13  
Having been down this road myself, skidding logs with a bumper mounted winch. Don't do it unless you happen to enjoy replacing ball joints. And for a 4X4 that's a real PITA job.
Also at the least you'd have to install line locks in your brakes and lock up all four wheels while winching. Otherwise the load with just drag the rear tires of the truck around with only the hand brake set.

Got a couple of 8000lb electric winches on various vehicles. Never had trouble with ball joints on any and as long as the vehicle is locked in 4x4 the front axle is locked to the rear. I sit behind the wheel to jockey the rpm if needed and keep it appropriate for the electric load and temperature...Vehicle is normally sitting in Park for most pulls