Anyone here incubate chicken eggs?

/ Anyone here incubate chicken eggs? #1  

jwmorris

Veteran Member
Planning a new project that my little girl might like, to incubate fertile eggs until chicks hatch. I have read quite a bit on the subject but can't say I know what works or not yet.

In any case this is what I am looking at starting out with.

Anyone thats done it care to provide advice?

Thanks.

/ Anyone here incubate chicken eggs? #2  
I can't believe what I'm seeing! All for something you little girl "might" like. Just go online and order a cheap egg incubator, something she can keep in a bedroom or family room if she's really interested. Unless of course you really enjoy McGivering all kinds of interesting stuff together which is what I suspect this "project" is really all about.

/ Anyone here incubate chicken eggs? #3  
As a kid we would take field trips to the science museum and one of the displays was growing eggs. They had pinholes in them on the ends and some sort of lens you could actually look inside them and see the live embryos growing. It was pretty amazing. I now eat lots of chicken so maybe it instilled values in me.

/ Anyone here incubate chicken eggs? #4  
We hatch pheasant,chukar and bobwhite quail every year.It is interesting for sure.Great for the kids.I donate eggs to the local school so the kids can learn about the process.We do use commercial incubators for our hatching.
Don't know if you are aware;two days before hatch is due;stop rotation.You also need to have a handle on what your humidity is;too much is just as bad as not enough.

/ Anyone here incubate chicken eggs? #5  
I built an incubator for a science project when I was in high school and hatched a few batches of chicks. There was a pan of water for humidity, under the tray that held the eggs. As I remember, when the first batch of eggs began to hach there still didn't seem to be enough humidity, causing the membrane of the eggs to dry out before the chicks could escape. Some of them stuck to the membrane and died. My solution was to drip a few drops of water between the chick and the shell. It worked and the rest of the chicks survived. Fortunately we were there to rescue these chicks. I don't remember having to do this on subsequent batches, maybe we figured out what went wrong and corrected it. This happened in the 1960's.

Last edited:
   / Anyone here incubate chicken eggs? #6  
A cheap Styrofoam incubator that automatically moves the eggs back and forth is as cheap as you can get for incubating eggs. They are thermostat controlled so set it and then just keep the water try full is about all you have to do. At around 26 days unplug the egg rotator and wait for each chick to hatch.
You will need to thoroughly clean it after the hatching to get all the egg residue out to avoid a really intense rotten egg smell if you don't. BTDT.

/ Anyone here incubate chicken eggs? #7  
I have 34 eggs in my incubator right now. It was a store bought unit with automatic turner. It was probably retail price about $125 but my wife got it at cost for something like $70. We incubated a set last year and everything went well. We lent it to inlaws and they were unsuccessful but we noticed this year that the thermometer they were using was off about 5* too cold.

Basically need a steady 100* temp and 50-60% humidity. If you can achieve that then whatever you build should work. You also need to turn them each day and quit turning them a couple days before scheduled hatch. After about a week, you can candle the eggs with a light and you will be able to determine if they are viable or not.

I don't pretend to be an expert on the matter so I probably missed some important things but incubating eggs is not rocket science. I figure if a chicken can do it then most humans should be capable of hatching eggs.

/ Anyone here incubate chicken eggs? #8  
I picked up a TSC cheapo incubator for like $15 on sale and I had to tell my 12 yo to stop making chickens until we butcher some out, she's done 4 or 5 sets of eggs now for about 40 total chicks hatched since Christmas time. She tried some of our guinea eggs too but we haven't had success with those.

/ Anyone here incubate chicken eggs? #9  
We're doing duck eggs right now. A pretty nice incubator was on sale at TSC for about $35 with electronic heat/humidity controls. Wasn't worth my time to make one from scratch and then fiddle with it to get everything right.

/ Anyone here incubate chicken eggs?
I can't believe what I'm seeing! All for something you little girl "might" like. Just go online and order a cheap egg incubator,

Guess we both get to learn something this way and the price happened to be just right, free. My junk pile also won't be any larger when we are done playing around. I understand buying stuff too, although I generally don't post about it in Build It Yourself forums when I do.