Custom built tractor

/ Custom built tractor #1  

DragonsBane

After looking for a small four wheel drive tractor for my small scale logging business, I decided to build one and didn't know where to start until I found this site. ANyhow here's what I want to do. I want to take a s-10 blazer frame strip of the body and start from there. I will swap in a Dana 44 axle left at full width for stability and a 14 bolt rear. I found from my off road experiences that the transfer cases from the s-10 can be doubled relatively easily. all that needs to be done is make an adapter out of a piece of pipe and some flat steel. The splines go right together. That takes care of the gear reduction. the motor will likely be the stock 2.8L. Now getting to what I need. I need ideas for the front end loader to load logs on my trailer and for a winch system an the back. I've seen the skidding system for sale for the back of tractors on various sites. The question is can one be built for a decent price?

/ Custom built tractor #2  
A winch will have to be hydraulic or electric, as I don't believe there is a pto port on the tranny of the s-10. I don't know what size logs you have to pull, but I would look more to a dual 1 ton rear if one is available to you. even a 3/4 ton can take duals, at least some of them. Good luck and be careful. something with that much power and that light can be upsidedown in a heartbeat.

/ Custom built tractor #3  
The question is, can you build it in 10 hours? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

This sounds so much like Junk Yard Wars.
Good luck, I can't wait to see pictures of this one.
Regrettably, I can't offer any useful advice.
Cliff

/ Custom built tractor #4  
I would wonder if an S-10 based machine would be maneuverable enough to work in the woods. Guess it would not be a problem if you were working where the dozers and skidders go but for selective logging it would be tight in my woods.

With out a PTO the problem with a winch would be speed. It would not be a problem to put in a big alternator to run a standard Warn or Ramsey electric winch, they would just be slow for skidding..

Be sure and share some photo's when you get started.

MarkV

/ Custom built tractor
went out and looked at a frame in a neighbors junk yard and the frame flares out right behind the front wheels. not what i was hoping for. however a fullsize frame is straight and doesn't flare out. you might think that a fullsize frame is to wide. i thought so to, but i took a tape and measured them and believe it or not the fullsize frame is actually a little narrower than the s-10 frame. opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. as for being too light i was planning on filling the tires with calcium to give it some extra weight. when i get started i will definitely send some pics.

/ Custom built tractor #6  
If your serious about building a tractor to last, use an industrial engine like a Continental from a MF/MH or a BD series from an International. These are slow turning high torque engines made for torque/hours.

The auto engines are too light,built for high rev,won't last as long and more complicated to repair.

You'll need a swap kit, but they are ready available.

My 2 cents

/ Custom built tractor #7  
You could use a transmission out of a one ton truck. Most of these have a PTO on them and are used to power hydraulic pumps. The pumps are used to power dump beds and winches. A lot of wreckers, based on the one ton frame, use the PTO to power the hydraulic winches used in vehicle recovery. You could probably find an old one ton that has a bad motor for a cheap price. You could then use the rear axle off of the truck for your build.

/ Custom built tractor
The one ton tranny is a good idea. I have one here. I'm gonna have alot of time now to plan this out and research the whole project now as I snapped my leg in two places. Oh well, at least I'll know what I need anyhow. Keep the ideas coming maybe you'll come up with something easier and better than I do

/ Custom built tractor #9  
I know a guy who has a homemade skiddermade from a 60 ford f 600(2 ton) and a dodge 360 v8 and auto trans in front of a 4 speed.It has combine tires on it and an electric winch. He is small time logger,but this rig runs in the woods every week,it just keeps a hammerin. The only thing I know of being bad is he has put 2 transmissions in it,but $125 for a dodge auto at the bone yard ain't bad. Keep us posted,we want pictures. Oh yea,where are you located? some of us might want to help if we are close enough.

/ Custom built tractor #10  
25 years or so ago, while living in California, I needed a maneuverable vehicle to work on the property. After a lot of head scratching this is what I wound up with. I used two rear ends out of mail scooters. flipped the ring gear over on the one for the front, mounted both on sub frames with a center pivot. I then used the stock opposed 2 cylinder engine and three speed transmission driving a chain drive with small sprocket on the transmission output shaft and a larger sprocket that was two piece that bolted to a flange I had welded to the drive shaft. I used a double cardan joint with a center hangar bearing from a Ford Courier in the middle. I used a direct steering gear with steering rod from the front to the rear that caused the rear to swing on the pivot. I later added a power steering system to this for easier steering effort. I made a front loader bucket run off the steering pump. I used the pump from a large mazda station wagon so i could use a larger reservoir. I used it for a while but the kids got more use out of than i did. I sure wish I had taken pictures back then, but there were no affordable digital cameras back then., Harold