Eliminated one more excuse.

/ Eliminated one more excuse. #1  

Pa Pa Jack

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3016
For years I have put off turning ideas into reality because cutting heavy stock was not realistic. I have cutting torches but have never been very good at using them. I thought, many times, about getting a harbor Freight bandsaw to cut larger stock, but didn't like the idea. So, finally I took the plunge and just picked up my new horizontal bandsaw at the truck terminal. I bought an Ellis 1600 saw. It is amazing. On test cuts, it went through 3" thick round stock like nothing. Anyone else have one? It's a lot of money, but, with care, I think I can get most of my money back if I would have to sell it. Now it's time to get serious about my homemade portable sawmill.

/ Eliminated one more excuse. #2  
I have an Ellis 1800. Great saw! Did your saw come with the cam vice? If so you might want to order the screw vice.

Attachments

• Ellis front.JPG
    Ellis front.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 332
  • Screw vice.jpg
    Screw vice.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 285
   / Eliminated one more excuse.
I have an Ellis 1800. Great saw! Did your saw come with the cam vice? If so you might want to order the screw vice.

The cam lock seems to work well. What are the advantages to the screw vice? I thought about the 1800 because the price difference is rather small, but I needed the saw to be portable to move it out of the way. I don't have room for a stationary piece at this time.

/ Eliminated one more excuse.
I'll look into that. Thanks.

Anyone know of a good source for 12 to 16 inch rollers. I want to make infeed and outfeed tables for the saw. All the rollers I've been able to find are really cheap and won't hold up to any kind of abuse with heavy stock. I remember there was a source for bearings that would fit into the ends of 2" black pipe to make our own rollers, but can't find it any more.

/ Eliminated one more excuse. #6  
I own two, an 1100 and 1800. Both have the cam vises that I've rebuilt because I didn't know about the screw vise option. The 1100 is 25 years old and the 1800 is 17 years old. I'll guess that Shield Arc was probably cutting round pipe or tube when the vise let go. I'll put on a C clamp or something extra when I cut round tube. Very happy with these saws otherwise.

Just a word of advise, don't buy cheap blades and expect straight cuts. You're going to get what you pay for when it comes to band saw blades. I prefer the bi-metal vari tooth type.

/ Eliminated one more excuse. #7  
I'll look into that. Thanks.

Anyone know of a good source for 12 to 16 inch rollers. I want to make infeed and outfeed tables for the saw. All the rollers I've been able to find are really cheap and won't hold up to any kind of abuse with heavy stock. I remember there was a source for bearings that would fit into the ends of 2" black pipe to make our own rollers, but can't find it any more.

Look up:

roll end bearings

Bruce