3/8" workbench with drawers

/ 3/8" workbench with drawers #1  

Renze

Elite Member
Tractor
Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718
10 years ago i bought an old glue table from my employer back then, for 90 euro. It was used to hold a sheet of plywood on stainless steel table tops with some big air cylinders holding it tight while the glue cured. I ground off the upper frame to use it as a workbench, welded M36 nuts under the 1.5 inch pipe legs so i could adjust the height and level.

Anyways, the 10mm (3/8 inch) top sheet kept me from cutting the 1250x2500 table (50x100 inch) to workbench size.

Untill last week, when i was done with the rear 50 cm which piled up junk because i couldnt reach that far without climbing on top.

I torched it down to 90cm width last week, and got launched by the engine hoist while tilting it

here i just took a couple of wheelbarrows of junk off it, before taking it out of the corner:
index25.jpg

the 3/8 inch sheet made it a bit top heavy: If you take a look at that engine hoist, can you guess where i was ?? :p
index24.jpg

cutting it up from 125 to 90 cm:
index23.jpg

putting the heavy C channel back
index21.jpg

back on its feet:
index20.jpg

Tomorrow its time to put the drawer blocks under: I bought a steel archive cabinet for 20 euro off ebay, and have two drawer cabinets under an old desktop, which i'm going to discard of because it takes so much room. Will post pictures of the finished result :)

Last edited:
   / 3/8" workbench with drawers #2  
Thanks for the post. I have a workbench in the shop that is the same way. Need to make it so I can reach the back, mine it wood and I am taking it apart to move so it will get done in the process. Ed

/ 3/8" workbench with drawers
Here its finished: It still needs some mint green paint

Attachments

• 20160516_203935_resized.jpg
    20160516_203935_resized.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 331
  • 20160516_203500_resized.jpg
    20160516_203500_resized.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 356
  • 20160516_175049_resized.jpg
    20160516_175049_resized.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 351
   / 3/8" workbench with drawers #4  
I see the 'couple wheelbarrows of junk' made its way back on to the bench pretty quickly. I'm not much better but keep telling myself that I will be. I think cleaning off a workbench is like trap and relocate for nuisance animals.... sometimes we don't move it far enough away and it just goes back to where it was :laughing:

I see the 'couple wheelbarrows of junk' made its way back on to the bench pretty quickly.

The idea is that the drawers beneath it will contain the valuable stuff, so i can sweep the rest of it to the floor :D

/ 3/8" workbench with drawers #6  
Good job, it came out nice. I've also found that it is almost impossible to have an empty bench or table top. I try to make an effort to create a place for everything, but my wife doesn't grasp the concept at all. As soon as I clean it up, she uses that spot for dog food, toilet paper, or whatever she just bought at the store!!!

/ 3/8" workbench with drawers #7  
I like a heavy sturdy table like you have, looks good. I try to leave about 2-3 " of the top protruding out past the main supports makes it easier for me to use C Clamps and Vise Grips to hold material down.

You say mint green paint and that seems bright enough. My cousin has a machine shop and he was talking about how all the metal darkened his shop. The next time I visited he had someone paint all his mills, lathes, and other machinery white. It really brightened up his shop. When I came home I painted 2 of my work tables white, top and all, as these were not welding tables. My old welding table is dark and just like it was. :(

Mint green, i mean machine green, like most lathes, drills and band saws are. I wanted to use it on my workshop press, but i use it as is, and i havent finished the dual pump setup yet :)

/ 3/8" workbench with drawers #9  
3/8" workbench with drawers

Mint green, i mean machine green, like most lathes, drills and band saws are. I wanted to use it on my workshop press, but i use it as is, and i havent finished the dual pump setup yet :)

Your table looks terrific, Renze.

I too, am impartial to "machine green"

Image1463684520.817992.jpg
Image1463684641.694326.jpg

Terry