Trash can hauler for tractor bucket

/ Trash can hauler for tractor bucket #1  

CanDo

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD790
I lost all of my trash can haulers when the last of our kids went away to college and so last winter I had to haul them down the long gravel driveway through the snow and slop. For most of the really bad weather days I'd get out the tractor and lean the cans into the bucket, bungee them in and hope I could get them tilted back before they fell out. Worked pretty well except when a bungee broke or got soft. There had to be a better way

A little review of some great ideas on this site, a night to sleep on it and bingo!

A little bit of scrap aluminum about a 3 length of 2x2 square tubing and a 18 of 1.5 x 4 C channel. A bit of band sawing, grinding, drilling and assembly and less than an hour later I ended up with a really light weight accessory that I put into the receiver that is welded onto my bucket. Now I don't even have to get out of the tractor seat. The pictures should help explain.

Works like a charm!

Attachments

• GCC2.JPG
    GCC2.JPG
    540.7 KB · Views: 2,384
  • GCC1.jpg
    GCC1.jpg
    673.3 KB · Views: 1,647
  • GCC4.jpg
    GCC4.jpg
    891.1 KB · Views: 1,729
  • GCC5.jpg
    GCC5.jpg
    955.7 KB · Views: 2,247
  • GCC3.jpg
    GCC3.jpg
    925.9 KB · Views: 2,122
   / Trash can hauler for tractor bucket #2  
Nice! I like it. I have the same cans from republic services also. But mine.... stay in the bucket just fine. Sometimes getting them to tip back and not out is the tricky part, but I've never lost a load.
Edit to add: I always load mine the reverse way as your holder does. So wheel-side into the bucket.

/ Trash can hauler for tractor bucket
Thanks Deezler. Yep, getting them to tip back and not out was the tricky part when I used to use just the bucket, especially when there was a good load in the trash can. Additionally, a slow drive down the long drive was required just to make sure that they didn’t bounce out. Then, at the end of the driveway, I had to get off the tractor (in the snow and/or mud) and unload the cans from the bucket.

Now I just get on the tractor, drive up to where the cans are stored, lower the bucket to hook up, lift and drive away. At the end of the drive I just pull up to where I want them left and drop the bucket which allows the hooks on the attachment to slip out and I then drive away. Easy!

/ Trash can hauler for tractor bucket #4  
I built a wood pallet to sit my trash cans on out in the garage. Garbage night, I just pick up the pallet with either brush forks or rear pallet mover and take the whole thing to the road and leave it.

/ Trash can hauler for tractor bucket
Ahh... pallet forks... if only! Hopefully someday after I do some kind of a quick-tach conversion. Anyway, they're on my bucket list (pun intended!) :laughing:

/ Trash can hauler for tractor bucket #6  
Thanks Deezler. Yep, getting them to tip back and not out was the tricky part when I used to use just the bucket, especially when there was a good load in the trash can. Additionally, a slow drive down the long drive was required just to make sure that they didn't bounce out. Then, at the end of the driveway, I had to get off the tractor (in the snow and/or mud) and unload the cans from the bucket.

Now I just get on the tractor, drive up to where the cans are stored, lower the bucket to hook up, lift and drive away. At the end of the drive I just pull up to where I want them left and drop the bucket which allows the hooks on the attachment to slip out and I then drive away. Easy!

Love the idea and will be copying it very soon. However, my trash company wants the cans facing the other way (opening to road, handle/wheels down driveway). I'm assuming this is so the guys can be as... quick... as I want to be with leaving them out. Republic isn't the same way?

/ Trash can hauler for tractor bucket #7  
Wow Spoon, you have trash nazis do your collection. I'd never pay someone to tell me how to throw my trash away. Everyone having their trash cans lined up the same sounds like one of those silly HOA things. No thanks...

That can hauler is a pretty awesome build though. Good job CanDo!

/ Trash can hauler for tractor bucket #8  
Some trucks require a particular side facing the street so their lift can grab the can's lift feature. This is on the rear but some are on the side. can lift by handle

I'm seeing more now that just grab around the can like this, but the lids still need to face the right way, or it flips trash all over when the can is brought down with trash on the lid.

Bruce

/ Trash can hauler for tractor bucket #9  
Some trucks require a particular side facing the street so their lift can grab the can's lift feature.
I'm seeing more now that just grab around the can like this, but the lids still need to face the right way, or it flips trash all over when the can is brought down with trash on the lid.
Bruce

Yup, that's very similar to mine, thanks Bruce.

/ Trash can hauler for tractor bucket #10  
I avoid self-checkout lanes at the stores too. I'd move or transport my own trash to the dump... It costs no more or less for the customer to be paying a person to chuck trash into the truck than it does to buy the company fancy new automated equipment that adds more hoops for the customer to jump through. Paying someone to chuck the trash keeps more money in the community. Buying equipment sends the money away, as far as China or the farthest part supplier...

If the local trash collector here fired two if the three guys on my route and only had a driver, I'd demand my bill be cut by half or cancel the service.