Topsoil or compost screen - build or rent?

/ Topsoil or compost screen - build or rent? #1  

Jon E

Tractor
2014 TYM T353HST
Looking for thoughts/comments on the construction of a topsoil and/or compost screen. I have about 80-100 yards of materials, consisting of various piles of pure compost, mixed compost and topsoil, plain topsoil, and composted wood chips. I would like to screen it all to about 3/4" or even 1/2" size. Once that material is all screened, however, I will only have a need to screen 2-5 yards per year after that. Mostly composted yard waste and manure. I'm thinking that a small trommel or shaker that you would have to load with a shovel would be way too much work, but would be fine for future demands. On the other hand, a large vibratory screen that could be loaded with a tractor bucket would be quick and easy for the initial quantity, but would never get used again after I was done. I figure that I have enough materials on hand to build a small hand-loaded machine without any additional cost, and the large screen might cost me a couple hundred bucks in various parts - of course that depends on how much I can scrounge up for free.

My third option would be to try and find someone who would screen all my materials for me, using a larger tow-behind machine, and pay the fee to do so. That means I could simply build a small screen and be done with it. I've been trying to find a small rental screen for a few years now and have had zero luck in my area, so hiring someone is about it for this option.

Given the circumstances, what would you guys do?

/ Topsoil or compost screen - build or rent? #2  
I have exactly the same problem. I need 20 yards done NOW but doing it by hand is out of the question for me. I guess I'll have to wait until I get one built as There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AVAILABLE.

/ Topsoil or compost screen - build or rent? #3  
watching to see what you come up with. I have about a 1000 yrds or so of wood chips I am starting to compost now and will need a screen before to long.

/ Topsoil or compost screen - build or rent? #4  
I've got a 5X9 foot piece of expanded steel mesh with an angle iron frame, and a diagonal cross strap to help it stay flat.
this panel is set upon blocks on the low side and struts on the high side. about a 45 degree angle. (just bit steeper than the angle of repose) If I catch the moisture just right, a loader bucket load will screen in about three passes. The "tailings" go back to the pile.
the screened material builds fast under the screen, I should put the rig on a bank. it needs to stay out of sight though, so it is where it is.

I've thought about a shaker, and if I come across a running leaf blower that can take a eccentric weight, I'll mount it to the frame. It would be nice to screen in a single pass.

I usually have 5-10 yards of compost going each season. It goes fast once it looks like "black gold" ;-0

/ Topsoil or compost screen - build or rent? #5  
My small batch screener

I screen about 5-6 yards of finished compost a year, bag it and sell it. While my approach is much too small for your application, it might give you some ideas when you're ready to do smaller batches.

With the parts I had on hand, it was easier for me to build the bellcrank drive than a vibrator, and it works plenty well enough for me. The screen is expanded metal, roughly 1/4 inch mesh.

Since that video, I have replaced the slope sheet with a cone that fits directly under the screen and the bucket sits under that. Much simpler and easier to hit the bucket. :)

/ Topsoil or compost screen - build or rent? #6  
Check these guys out Topsoil Screeners - OMH Proscreen A friend of mine has one and loves it, moves it job to job and uses it at his house a lot. I believe the model he has is a 78, I think he paid around 5 grand for it.