Ways to bypass or drill out key on 94 ranger

/ Ways to bypass or drill out key on 94 ranger #1  

farm boy00

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere M&MT, Case 1030 comfort king, Sears ST16, Craftsmen 6000, homemade articulation mini-loader
I know this is out of category but you guys are about the most creative people ever.

My grandma's and her bf chevy burned down and they lost the keys to their spare truck. Can't find their spare and other spare was put on with the main key cause it bent on the Chevy key chain and now it's all gone and wasn't able to dig through melted plastic to find it.

We have a lock Smith out now but he's been out for hrs and can't seem to get a new key made to work. He and a few others said that you could drill it out but it's almost impossible. You guys got any ideas??

/ Ways to bypass or drill out key on 94 ranger #2  
Get a better locksmith or take the vin to the dealer and see if they can get a key.

/ Ways to bypass or drill out key on 94 ranger #3  
Take your registration with you to the dealer. You may have to show ownership.

/ Ways to bypass or drill out key on 94 ranger #5  
Best bet is to get a new key from a dealer.

In the past, I have disassembled the steering column and just removed the lock cylinder. On older stuff, there is either a slot down in there that a large bladed screwdriver can operate, or its just the opposite and will look like a large flat head screwdriver down in there. On that, I just take a piece of solid round bar, grind a slot in the end, and use that to turn the mechanism.

Doing this could still be temporary, and allow you to still get a key made and ensure that it works before re-installing the locking cylinder

/ Ways to bypass or drill out key on 94 ranger
Well we got it going last night. Looked on craigslist and got a whole new steering column for $60 that was 2 miles away. Got it replaced in a hr. Why we replaced it is cause we said screw it and tried to drill it out which in the long run didn't work. Then got the truck going with one caliper acting up but running and driving but then the brake lights don't work cause the switch is getting old so my grandma's bf said nope I'm not driving it.

Lock Smith was a really good guy and has been in business for alot of year but recently got cancer and can't think quite as good but still could do it. But my grandma's bf could relax and had to keep nagging him and saying what to do so the locksmith just couldn't get it to work quite right

Last edited:
   / Ways to bypass or drill out key on 94 ranger #7  
The standard Ford procedure for the larger trucks (should work for the rangers also) is to get behind the chrome piece that is around the area where you insert the key with a large chisel or screwdriver, and smack it with a hammer and break it off. You can then get up in there alongside the tumbler and push the pin to release it. Sounds a little rough I know, but it's right from the factory manual when the key is lost. It's nothing but pot metal so it breaks pretty easy.

/ Ways to bypass or drill out key on 94 ranger #8  
Years ago I used a screw driver to start a 81 duster popes off the collar and there was a slit I stuck the screw driver in and turned.