Just Saving Sime Old Iron

/ Just Saving Sime Old Iron #21  
Excellent Job, You really made SOMETHING out of NOTHING there!
Put a $10 set of Harbor Freight Lights on it and she's Road Worthy!
....You Done Good Son...Now don't You Dare go and get Her all Dirty!!!!

@SuperA Thanks!
It fits the "vision", which I had.

I've got the manufacture's tag, which has more rust stuck to it, than the original piece of metal had left! NO MORE RUST! It's fairly difficult to get a home-built trailer registered in PA ... any more.

/ Just Saving Sime Old Iron #22  
I bit the bullet, today, and ordered a 2" square tube for the tongue, as ! hauled a couple loads and the oak was pretty "springy".

/ Just Saving Sime Old Iron
I was gonna suggest Re-enforcing the OAK with 1/4 " Flat Stock Steel, I actually seen Amish Made Buggies and Old Wooden Railroad Carts & Hand Trucks made that way but the Square stock will certainly take all the worry out of it.

/ Just Saving Sime Old Iron #24  
Well, there are two facets to this situation: One being, the tongue is oak, so there is some natural spring to it. But, the other one, is that I used "flat iron" for the diagonals, as I couldn't see a good reason to use angle iron, as I was only looking at it, as lateral reinforcement. The change to angle iron on the diagonals, actually, would shift the weight of the trailer from the front of the trailer, to further forward on the tongue.

So, the incorporation of angle iron diagonals, would have made a significant difference. The flexibility wouldn't be from the very front of the trailer to the hitch, but from the end of the angle iron at it's attachment point on the oak, to the hitch.

Last edited:
   / Just Saving Sime Old Iron #25  
This should be the last installment on the trailer build. I replaced the oak tongue with 2" square tube and angle iron diagonals, which seemed to make it much more rigid. The additional pix are of the NAA Ford tractor, the National Mower Co., sickle bar mower and the trailer ... my 3 "Saving Old Iron" projects in the last nine months.

metal tongue.JPG combo2.JPG combo3.JPG sickle trailer.JPG

/ Just Saving Sime Old Iron #27  
Looks good, you got to have a farm cart.

Thanks! I'm running out of room! Two garages, one with a shed and a barn, with a wood working shop addition. One of the biggest problems, is trying to remember, where the tools are located, .. today!

/ Just Saving Sime Old Iron #28  
I hear ya, you can never have enough covered area to store stuff, or too many tools.