DIY - Massey Ferguson 1529 skid plate

/ DIY - Massey Ferguson 1529 skid plate #1  

arizona98tj

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 1529
First, let me say thanks to everyone who has posted on the forum. Reading your information has been most helpful.

I bought a barely used Massefy Ferguson 1529 tractor earlier this year, with just 90 hours on it, from the local dealer. As I wanted to use it for firewood gathering here in northern Minnesota, I quickly discovered that a lot of vulnerable components and linkages are accessible from the underside of the tractor. I don't think I was but 10' out into the woods when I discovered the 1st piece of unwanted wood jammed up next to the brake linkage. Not good at all.

Having rock crawled my Jeep TJ over much of the desert southwest, I opted to make a skid plate for the 1529 using 6061 aluminum alloy. A complete write-up can be found on my web site.

Here is a pic of the completed skid plate installed on my MF 1529.

skidplate-7.jpg

Last edited:
   / DIY - Massey Ferguson 1529 skid plate
Any other MF 1529 owners out there?

/ DIY - Massey Ferguson 1529 skid plate #3  
Not a 1529 owner but I have a massey. Very nice work. I need to make something similar.

have you bashed anything into it to see how it holds up?

/ DIY - Massey Ferguson 1529 skid plate #4  
Nice, that loader sub frame was just so handy it looks like it was intended or designed for that. Welcome to TBN Stu!

Not a 1529 owner but I have a massey. Very nice work. I need to make something similar.

have you bashed anything into it to see how it holds up?

The reason I picked the 1/4" thick 6061 alloy is because of my previous experience using it as an auto tranny skid plate and also the gas tank skid plate on my Jeep Wrangler. I've had the entire weight of my Jeep, 4K+ pounds, sitting on those 6061 skid plates and they only had scratches on them. I've no doubt the skid on my Massey will keep brush and the occasional stump away from the vitals on my tractor. LOL!

Here is a photo of my Jeep on a typical rock wash.....you can see the tranny and gas tank aluminum skid plates. We built it with 6061 because it was more than tough enough and also so much lighter than steel plate. I spent most of my time crawling through rock washes in Arizona, Colorado, California, and once in Nevada.

Here is a link to the 6061 alloy tranny skid plate I made for my Jeep. Aside from no TIG welding on my tractor skid, the process I used to make the tractor skid was virtually identical to my Jeep's skid.

diehard-4.jpg

Once I got under the tractor and scoped out the project, that was extactly the way I saw that sub frame.....it was like it was made for it, just waiting to have a skid plate bolted to it. ;)

Due to some needed changes on my website, I broke the links in my first post.

Here is the complete write-up on my DIY skid plate.

skidplate-7.jpg

Attachments

• skidplate-7.jpg
    skidplate-7.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 137
   / DIY - Massey Ferguson 1529 skid plate #8  
Due to some needed changes on my website, I broke the links in my first post.

Here is the complete write-up on my DIY skid plate.

skidplate-7.jpg

I like your skid plate... we have a MF1533 - about the same age me thinks.. 2005 but our machine is gear/clutch. We are in the woods a bunch and I have thought about having some sort of plate underneath to protect things. Too many places underneath where twigs and branches can kick up and do damage. We don't worry too much about rocks and such. We stay away from those.

Love your project and wish you all the best with your MF1529. Ours has been a little work horse since we put her back in service after sitting for 5 or more years..