3 pt hitch lift arms w/offset - any fabricators?

/ 3 pt hitch lift arms w/offset - any fabricators? #1  

NCShelton

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000
Can any of you do-it-yourselfers out there make up the lift arms similar to those shown on the web go to the site & click on 3 point hitches: [image]http://www.ernies.net/[/image]

I bought a set to go on my Yanmar YM2000, and the arms are too short. The fabricator used a standard length arm and bent an offset, but started the offset too soon, and it will not clear the 9.5x24 tires. And, with the offsets, it is 4" shorter than it was, making it too short. What is really needed is to use an arm 4-5" longer, start the 45 degree offset bend toward the outside of the tractor 18.5" from the connection on the tractor, continue the offset until it is 4" further to the outside of the tractor, and then offset 45 degrees back toward the center of the tractor. The finished arm needs to be 28.5" to 29" from connection on the tractor to the end connection of the lift arm. Holes needed in the lift arm for lift link and sway chains are 8.5" c/c from the connection on the tractor, then 3.5" to another, and then 3.5" to another. The hitch pin clip shown on the photos would be a nice adder too.
I suggested these dimensions to the vendor, and he did not seem interested in making the lift arms I have described. The ones he does sell will not fit a YM1700 and larger Yanmar, although his website says they will.

Would any of you be interested in making a pair of the arms for some of us Yanmar owners? I really only need the lift arms, but if you made a complete set, with sway chains instead of the turnbucle sway adjusters, I'd take the set. Not interested in a set with turnbuckles, though. They do not allow free swinging like chains do.

Any takers?

Norwood Shelton
Control Systems Engineer, Retired
Monroe, LA
Yanmar 2000
64 Ford F100 (my dad's, restored)
55 Ford Customline

/ 3 pt hitch lift arms w/offset - any fabricators? #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Not interested in a set with turnbuckles, though. They do not allow free swinging like chains do. )</font>

Just curious, why would you want them to swing? They can rub against the tires and if you make a turn with something raised up like a bush-hog you may break something with a heavy object swinging around.

/ 3 pt hitch lift arms w/offset - any fabricators?
To answer the question: Some of my equipment require the arms to swing out further than the clevis adjustments will allow, and I have to drop the clevis to move it out. If I could get the offset arms the right length, then I probably wouldn't need the chains, as the offset would allow the clearance.

Further explaination: I traded a Satoh 650G 25 hp gasoline tractor for a Yanmar YM2000 24hp diesel tractor. Trying to use the existing equipment has been a challenge, as the YM2000 is about 6 inches narrower than the Satoh, making it necessary on some equipment to disconnect the top link and turnbucle to get the lift arm on the equipment. I tried a quick hitch assembly, but they actually require a mating piece on each 3 pt equipment to really work. The one I tried, with no mating equipment would not work with any of my equipment, disc, bush hog, tiller, blade, rock rake, middle buster, cultiator.

Other than that, the Yanmar is a nice tractor, good power, parts easier to obtain.

/ 3 pt hitch lift arms w/offset - any fabricators? #4  
Would swapping the rear wheels to the opposite side give your YM2000 a wider stance and let the arms clear the tires? Or possibly new adjustable-width wheels (separate rim and disc) could be obtained for little more than the special arms you described.

My YM240 (essentially the same tractor) is 60 inch overall width using oversize wheels and tires. (shown in my sig photos). Implements hook up ok to its straight arms. 60 inches feels like minimal width to me. I can't imagine what the catalog-specified width of 49 inches for these tractors would feel like on a side slope!

/ 3 pt hitch lift arms w/offset - any fabricators? #5  
The pin spacing for a standard category I hitch is 26". For a YM2000, a standard set of arms should work fine for a 26" spacing. Are your implement pin spacings greater than 26"? If so, can you remove the pins and reinstall them facing inward?

/ 3 pt hitch lift arms w/offset - any fabricators? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Some of my equipment require the arms to swing out further than the clevis adjustments will allow, )</font>

Unless your turnbuckles are on the inside of the liftarms, they should not hamper the spread of the lift arms to attach equipment. Once you have the equipment mounted, how would you tighten up the chains to prevent the equipment from swaying excessively?

/ 3 pt hitch lift arms w/offset - any fabricators? #7  
Shelton, I've fabricated a lot of my own equipment around my place. You've provided fairly decent instructions of what you need. I live in Northern Virginia. I am currently a college student at George Mason University. I am working part time for a local welder/fabricator and I could possibly make the lift arms you want. Shipping to Louisianna won't be cheap, but I can make your lift arms with cashier's check as payment only. Another alternative is find a local welder and he might take on the challenge, minus the shipping charges you would have to include if I did the job. Email me with any questions at twinters@gmu.edu

/ 3 pt hitch lift arms w/offset - any fabricators? #8  
Norwood,

To fix your short arms, I'd simply buy some steel (the same size as the arms...5/8" X 3" etc.) then I'd cut the existing arms and weld in a 3" or 4" piece to produce the overall length your looking for.

I fabricated a TNT for my BX2200 and encountered a similar problem. The solution was to lengthen the arms 2". I used the above technique and all is well.

Good Luck! DW

/ 3 pt hitch lift arms w/offset - any fabricators? #9  
Nice idea. In addition to lenthening the arm with that extra metal.. I would also sandwhich some flat over the union areas.

Soundguy

/ 3 pt hitch lift arms w/offset - any fabricators?
One solution to the problem of the turnbucles blocking the spreading of the lift arms is to change them out for chains. That is one advantage I thought I'd realize with the offset arms kit I mentioned in the intitial post of this thread.

However, I repeat my closing question, "are there any takers out there? - someone with the equipment to add the additional length to the lift arms, AND THEN do the offset bends per the photos on the website. If there are, I can furnish detail deminsions of length, holes location, offset spacing, etc. I bet lots of them could be sold if someone did it. The existing lift linkage could be reused.

Norwood Shelton
Monroe, LA
Retired Control Systems Engineer
[no longer a pore ole country boy trying to make a living, but
a pore ole country boy who tried to make a living]