Just put a Mill and Lathe in the shop

/ Just put a Mill and Lathe in the shop #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Not actually my equipment, but a good friends. He just moved and needed to clear out his shop. I'll probably have these for a few years, if not forever.:thumbsup:

I have never even seriously looked into buying a mill or lathe, because I have always had access through work. Anything I need done, I can get done, if ya know what I mean. But he asked if I could keep these for awhile, and I obliged.

Nothing fancy. Lathe bed is a bit wore out near the chuck. If you tighten down the slides snug like they are supposed to be, it will bind up about 18" away from headstock. If you loosen it so it will travel the entire bed, up near the chuck it is a little sloppy. But nothing I cant work around. Its a clausing 1500 variable seed 7.5HP. Noisy old gal is its all straight cut gears.

Mill is an old bridgeport 2HP variable speed, 8" riser block, with an old obsolete CNC conversion. Dont need CNC though. Ball screws on both X and Y are nice and smooth and backlash with ball screws is nil.

I moved these for him a few years ago with the backhoe. Took a chance this time and decided rather than dragging the backhoe 10 miles to his old shop, to take the MX5100. Have no idea what either of these weigh.

The lathe was no problem. Chaining high enough to get it onto the trailer, I was at the upper end of lift height. And it started struggling but no issues with curl power to get the last bit I needed.

The mill was a different story. couldnt lift or curl it. Which I thought would be the case. But I had a plan B and plan C. Plan B was to take the HD bucket off. That sheds ~500# as well as brings the lift point in closer. Plan C was remove the head if needed. Fortunately, Plan B worked and we didnt have to remove the head.

Unloading in the shop was easy with the ganty crane. Then once on the floor it was just a matter of sliding the lathe into position, and just leave the mill on the pallet and use the pallet jack.:thumbsup:

Money shot
IMG_20160719_175507394-1200x2133.jpg

/ Just put a Mill and Lathe in the shop #4  
Nice :thumbsup:

/ Just put a Mill and Lathe in the shop #5  
Good thing you swapped off that L3400:D You would never have been able to lift either one of those machines. Glad it all worked out OK.:thumbsup:

/ Just put a Mill and Lathe in the shop
Good thing you swapped off that L3400:D You would never have been able to lift either one of those machines. Glad it all worked out OK.:thumbsup:

Nope. Just would have had to drag the BH up there like we did last time. But though I would see just what the MX is capable of.

The BH could have easily lifted both at the same time from the FEL. And with ~3' higher lift I could have set them on the GN if I wanted to. Instead, we used a pretty low car trailer to set them on.

/ Just put a Mill and Lathe in the shop #7  
I've got a small shop at a friends home... he passed away 25 years ago and his widow said it can stay... she is 92 now.

Don't use it often but it sure is nice to go in and turn on a light switch and be work ready... NC Bridgeport Mill, South Bend Lathe, surface table, welder, etc...

I simply don't have room for it but know the day is coming when I will have to relocate...

I used a truck with a heavy duty lift gate to move the Bridgeport and then machine skates to move it in the shop...

/ Just put a Mill and Lathe in the shop #8  
I just got a milling machine last week also. Kind of embarrassed to say that in my excitement to get it home I didn't think to rotate the head 180 degrees to lower the center of gravity. :D

IMG_0128.JPG

Haven't found a final resting place for it yet , but it's easy to move around in the meantime with the forklift.
IMG_0129.JPG

Terry

/ Just put a Mill and Lathe in the shop
Looks like a nice machine. A forklift sure is nice if you have hard surfaces to operate on

/ Just put a Mill and Lathe in the shop #10  
Looks like a nice machine. A forklift sure is nice if you have hard surfaces to operate on

Yes. But I'm spoiled. I have three of these in the yard to use also.
IMG_8129.JPG